ArcGIS Pro Feature class table edits delete field corrupts file

09-23-2019 01:01 PM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I've had this happen now twice this morning alone after making a number of edits my feature class is now corrupt again! I'm currently using ArcGIS Pro 2.4.0 and I have a feature class from a file geodatabase. I've been making edits which has went fine until I try and delete fields. It worked fine to delete one field but when I clicked to delete another field it starts popping up all these errors and closes out the file.

The feature class is now corrupt and I get the message "Failed to load data. Error: FDO error: -2147024894 FDO error: -2147024894". I've had this happen several times over the past few months where deleting fields corrupts the file. Why is this? It is very frustrating. While I did make a backup of the data (I forgot it had a definition query on it, so essentially my latest edits are gone). This seems like a very repeatable error/bug. Has this already been reported?

Thanks,
Kathy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrookeHodge
New Contributor III

This has happened to me on a number of occasions and I had to spend a lot of time recreating data after files were ruined by this.  I always make backup files when doing any editing, but I never thought I'd need to make backup files of any file I want to just simply delete a field from.  Frustrating.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

If this is something you're seeing repeatedly (and it sounds like it is), I think that it would be best to work with Technical Support.

Patch 3 should be available today for ArcGIS Pro 2.4, but in reading through the release notes Release notes for ArcGIS Pro 2.4—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation I don't see anything that describes that error.

Error: FDO error: -2147024890 [featureclass name] might give a clue if that file gdb were a replica. 

There could be other reasons this could be occurring that deal with permissions on the data (with file geodatabase this would have to do with security on the folder) and/or where the data is stored (local machine, or network share).

In short, there are likely a number of things to troubleshoot, and that may be most effective through Technical Support.

Esri Support Contact Support 

AiminGong
New Contributor II

I have the same problem with ArcMap/ArcCatalog 10.6.1 . Deleting or adding  new attribute field  to a feature class (using ArcMap or ArcCatalog) in File Geodatabase will make all in data in this feature class corrupt (all data disappeared, the feature class become  invalid ), this happened  many times. It seems some fields names (even if they are reasonable names) are not acceptable by ArcCatalog, but I do not understand why the data corrupt and disappeared.

0 Kudos