ArcGIS Pro error message when adding shapefiles from Windows File Explorer

Jump to solution
01-18-2022 08:36 AM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I've noticed something curious in ArcGIS Pro (regardless of the version) and wanted to see if I could get some clarification on why this is happening. 

Whenever I drag all highlighted elements of a shapefile (cpg, dbf, idx, prj, shp, shx) from Windows File Explorer into ArcGIS Pro, I get the following error message:

Katherine_Clark_0-1642523488635.png

When I check the notifications pane, it has several warnings mentioning an "unsupported data type". However, the shapefile does indeed pull into the map just fine and there are no further issues. Also, if I add the shapefile through catalog and right click > "Add to Current Map", it pulls into the map without an error message.

Any idea why this might be happening? As I said, it's not really an issue...but I'm so curious what's causing it!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

did you try dragging just the *,shp? the other bits would not be recognized as appropriate data by Pro

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

did you try dragging just the *,shp? the other bits would not be recognized as appropriate data by Pro

... sort of retired...
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Oh wow, that was easy. Yup, no errors with only dragging in the .shp file. Thank you!

For some reason I thought you had to drag in all related files....oh well! Thanks for clearing up that question!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos