ArcGIS Pro determine dominant land use type around each point in a given area (500m buffer)

Jump to solution
06-24-2021 09:56 AM
Hope-Hauptman
Occasional Contributor

Capture.PNG

I have a raster file that I clipped to a 5oom buffer - see picture. In each clip the are multiple land uses. I would like the dominant land use in each clip for each zone in a table. I have used Tabulate Area tool but that just gives each land use area for each clip and I only want the dominant land use in the buffer area. 
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Without any data to experiment with, I wonder if the Zonal Statistics As Table GP tool would do the job here.  Are you able to share a sample of the data to experiment with?

View solution in original post

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Zonal Statistics as Table should work. Choose "MAJORITY" as the statistics type.

JayantaPoddar_0-1624559626189.png

Think Location

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Please ensure no record is selected in the attribute table of the buffer layer.

Here is what I get executing Zonal Statistics as Table on your dataset.

JayantaPoddar_0-1624560748982.png

Think Location

11 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Without any data to experiment with, I wonder if the Zonal Statistics As Table GP tool would do the job here.  Are you able to share a sample of the data to experiment with?

Hope-Hauptman
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I tried that and it looks promising but could not get it to work. I'm new to this so I am not sure what sample data to provide. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I have used Tabulate Area tool but that just gives each land use area for each clip and I only want the dominant land use in the buffer area. 

So can't you just sort on what ever field got populated by the Tabulate Area tool and find the maximum?

That should just about do it....
Hope-Hauptman
Occasional Contributor

Yes, but that does not preserve the category that the maximum came from which is what I am really after. I could do it for each line of data manually but I have hundreds. Thank you for your help and congrats on imminent retirement:)

0 Kudos
Hope-Hauptman
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Zonal Statistics as Table should work. Choose "MAJORITY" as the statistics type.

JayantaPoddar_0-1624559626189.png

Think Location
Hope-Hauptman
Occasional Contributor

This did finally work - thank you so much. One more quick thing - is it possible to know not just the majority category but the area of that majority (the sum of the area in the majority of a circle/buffer)? 

0 Kudos
Hope-Hauptman
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again. I did try but the output table only has one line with the majority identified. And the area is the area of the buffer (circle 500m radius) not the area of the majority. Regardless it is only for one ORIG_FID see screenshot. I really appreciate your help. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Please ensure no record is selected in the attribute table of the buffer layer.

Here is what I get executing Zonal Statistics as Table on your dataset.

JayantaPoddar_0-1624560748982.png

Think Location