ArcGIS Pro crshes on startup, every time.

Jump to solution
01-22-2018 03:36 PM
PhilipWhite1
New Contributor III

This began within the past couple of weeks. I was running 2.0. I had hoped an update would fix the problem; I couldn't actually open Pro to run an update, so I downloaded and installed 2.1. Problem still persists. ArcGIS Pro crashes upon launch everytime.

Running Windows 7, 64 bit.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

We've seen a few cases where a recent Microsoft patch causes crashing of ArcGIS Pro (and other applications) -  Here is information on the problem patch (and some solutions) - .NET Framework January 2018 Rollup Known Issue KB4074906 - "TypeInitializationException" or "FileFor... 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

We've seen a few cases where a recent Microsoft patch causes crashing of ArcGIS Pro (and other applications) -  Here is information on the problem patch (and some solutions) - .NET Framework January 2018 Rollup Known Issue KB4074906 - "TypeInitializationException" or "FileFor... 

0 Kudos
dmacq
by
New Contributor III

Same issue described. I did solution one in the link above and all is well. Always an adventure!

PhilipWhite1
New Contributor III

As also reported by Drew M, solution 1 from Scott's link worked and only took a few seconds.

Thanks!

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You should indicate your operating system.  The 'issue' seems to apply to certain versions of windows etc.

I have been running 2.0 and 2.1 without issues with windows 10 but I don't use any server data

JasonWegner
New Contributor III

This was happening to me this fall as well.  No amount of fixes mentioned above worked, but starting as administrator does the trick.  Once I was able to get it started, I noticed there was a recommended update.  Not sure if that's what triggered it, because it still won't start outside of administrator mode.  But at least it starts now.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jason,

This may not be the same issue caused by the Microsoft patch. If you ever see a crash again, please contact Esri Technical Support at 888-377-4575.

-Scott

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

You might want to check the permissions setup in your profile to the c-drive of your computer where the Pro software is installed.  Running as administrator would allow access to all c-drive locations that might otherwise be restricted in the normal profile.  Something that you could discuss with your IT dept.