ArcGIS Pro crashes or stops working when exporting an animation. Help!

12-16-2020 11:00 AM
Labels (1)
alex_vanko
New Contributor II

Hello, I have created a flyover animation using a local scene with two 2D line feature classes on top of Esri's Ground and Imagery base layers. I have tried many times to export this to create an avi or mp4 video, both on my high-end laptop and a beefier workstation, and it just won't work. A couple times, ArcGIS Pro (2.6.3) has crashed after a few hours, but more often, the export gets through about 10-20% of the frames in the video and just...stops (no crash, no error message). I have let it sit for at least 24 hours, but it's just stuck. Please help! Why is this happening? I spent a lot of time on this neat animation, but it's worthless if I can't render it to video format.

Some details:

• video is 3 minutes (4,249 frames at 24 fps)
  • 720p letterbox resolution
  • I have tried mp4 and avi formats with low to high "file size"
  • I have tried removing all non-visible layers from the map
  • the animation includes a title, a legend, and a half dozen captions that pop up throughout
  • one of the line feature classes includes a timescale attribute

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
NathanShephard
Esri Contributor

Unfortunately I'm not sure why you're experiencing this export problem.  😞  The only other ideas that come to mind are things like delays or time-outs in service layers, or some kind of network accessibility problem. 

If it's at all possible, it would be great if you could log a bug with Esri Support (with your animation / map package) so the dev team can test it in debug mode and see if that helps us figure out what is going wrong.  Agreed that piecemeal export is a workaround, and that single export would be a much better result.

-Nathan.

0 Kudos