Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro Crashes After Reconnecting to RDP

09-12-2023 09:42 AM
MeleKoneya
Regular Contributor

When I am working from home, I use remote desktop on my Windows 11 machine to connect to my Windows 10 computer at work via a VPC Client.

Often I'll leave ArcGIS Pro open and close my RDP on my home computer to finish a  geoprocessing operation or export a map. 

When I log back on to RDP, ArcGIS  Pro crashes consistently.

Any suggestions as to what to look at to change this?

Thank you

Mele

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@MeleKoneya What is the version of ArcGIS Pro?

Few suggestions:

• Check that the work PC running ArcGIS Pro meets system requirements:  Verify your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro
  • Apply ArcGIS Pro patches.
  • RDP should not interfere with Pro. Do you ever see crash when working directly on the PC? If so, best to observe what is causing the crash? Certain projects, certain tools, certain data sources - this will help narrow down the cause.
  • Is there any error message when ArcGIS  Pro crashes? 
  • ArcGIS  Pro crash creates a dump file that is saved locally on the PC. Log an Esri Tech Support ticket and they will help analyze the root cause.
Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
StephScavelli
New Contributor III

Hi @AyanPalit, You wrote that RDP should interfere with Pro. Does that mean Pro should do fine being remotely accessed?

I’m looking for more information to set up a home desktop with higher specs for ArcGIS Pro that can be remotely accessed via my portable laptop when out. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
StephScavelli
New Contributor III

@AyanPalit 

Typo! I meant shouldn’t interfere..

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@StephScavelli Correct, RDP should not interfere with Pro at all. Many users operate ArcGIS Pro on remote machines. I myself use RDP to access Pro across multiple environments and never see an issue.

0 Kudos
StephScavelli
New Contributor III

@AyanPalit That's great! I'm actually looking to create a remote desktop set up at home to connect a laptop to my personal computer. Being that I'd be the only user remotely accessing my own home set up, do you know if I need to go about putting together this complicated set up with VMware and GPU management system?

Or can I just get a desktop computer with the robust specs that ArcGIS Pro calls for and then remote access via my laptop using the Microsoft Remote Desktop app?

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm trying to set this up on my own.

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@StephScavelli You need the robust specs on the machine running ArcGIS Pro; not the one used to RDP as it is supposed to be a thin client with not much processing requirement.

0 Kudos
MeleKoneya
Regular Contributor

@AyanPalit  Thank you responding.    I apologize for not getting back.

I am still having issues with Pro crashing when my RDP is disconnected.    We have some issues with our VPN disconnecting and when I reconnect, if Pro was running it will crash.    We had F5 as our VPN, but now have Cloudflare and the issue is still present.   I finally gave in and opened a support ticket, but they found nothing.    I am working with our IT Team to see if anything about my setup is causing that issue. I am running 3.2    I did remove an ArcGIS Hydro add-in and also our organization screen saver.     It is hard to test this issue as it only happens when the disconnect happens.    I am hoping that recent changes may have helped.  Time will tell

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@MeleKoneya Thanks for the update. The behavior reported is weird; my best guess it's the setup. I recall a few issues where VPN/RDP tries to connect the host machine drives to the remote machine for file transfer etc. Connect/disconnect of the mapped drives in this situation seem to upset some applications. This is usually a setting that can be disabled. Just one more item to review and rule out.

0 Kudos