ArcGIS Pro connection files show current path in temp directory

02-17-2021 07:42 AM
ScottBailey3
New Contributor III

Hello, currently I access SDE connection through a shared directory (UNC Path). When in Catalog View, any data sources which use the connection files , show the current path as 'AppData\Local Temp\ArcGISProTemp<random>\<ramdom>.sde'

If I try to change the datasource to the shared connection file or the project connection file after applying changes, it still default back to that directory. It it does show the right database in the individual layer properties view.

Is this by design, can someone explain to me why this is happening?

I'm on Pro 2.6.3

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

When I encountered a similar issue, it took a while for the new data source to save. When you're in that menu and hit save, let the program run until it automatically exits the window. Seems that when you exit that menu window after hitting save, it doesn't actually finish saving the new source.

0 Kudos
ScottBailey3
New Contributor III

The sources do not update at all. Doesnt even put them under new path after you select the other connection file. Also doesnt explain why Po would be creating a temp SDE connection file locally when its pointing to one on the network.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check if this works.

1. Close all ArcGIS Applications.

2. Go to 'AppData\Local Temp\ArcGISProTemp<random>\<ramdom>.sde' location, and move the sde file to a different folder.

3. Open the ArcGIS Pro project. The layers that were previously pointing to the above path, should be broken. Repair the data link.

Think Location
ScottBailey3
New Contributor III

I deleted the temp folder. It creates a new as soon as I launch the project. Could it be a permission issue with the shard connection file, that it needs to copy it into a local temp directory every time? I have tested with different users. Same result.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It seems ArcGIS Pro doesn't like UNC paths 😛

Copy the full UNC path (alongwith Feature class name).

When changing the data source in Pro, paste the full UNC path (instead of browsing it folder by folder).

Verify if the data source has changed, by clicking on List by Source in TOC.

Think Location
0 Kudos
MatthewStephenson2
New Contributor II

I was seeing the same thing.  The connection files are normally stored in the ArcGIS Pro project folder but I wasn't seeing this initially because I hadn't saved to a project yet.  If you create connections before saving your ArcGIS Pro workspace as a project the connections are stored in this temporary location.  As soon as you save as a project the connection files are saved to the same project location.

0 Kudos