Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro can't find an Excel worksheet, freezes/hangs

10-18-2022 02:04 PM
Matt-Goodman
Frequent Contributor

I quickly found a workaround, but am so frustrated with the fact that ArcGIS Pro can't seem to to 'see' an Excel worksheet through the "Add Data" dialog. When I click into the workbook (xlsx), the dialog just spins and spins and spins....then canceling or closing down the application often requires an "End Task" in the Task Manager. 

Things I've tried:
- check the Excel workbook for correct formatting (there are only two simple columns, both named with text names and containing simple integers).

- tried both .xlsx and .xls

- tried moving the Excel file to a different location in the directory

- tried updating ArcGIS Pro 3 to the latest patch (3.0.2).

- tried rebooting the computer

- while Pro was spinning its wheels, I launched ArcMap (10.7) and added the Excel worksheet without issue

Anyone else experiencing this? 

Attached: .xlsx file

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Matt - I'm working with ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2 and had no problems loading your Excel file using the Add Data button or via the Catalog Pane.  I'm wondering if you have the necessary drivers for Excel to work properly in ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
Matt-Goodman
Frequent Contributor

I've confirmed:

• Running Office 365, v.2209, click-to-run, 32-bit
  • have MS Access db engine 2016, 32-bit, silently installed
  • have .NET Desktop runtime 6.0.5.31215 x86, silently installed

proflow.png

The weird thing is, I've been on ArcGIS Pro 3.x since July (3 months now) and haven't had any issues with Excel tables until the last week or so.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Matt - I think the problem is you're running the MS Access DB engine 2016, 32-bit versus the 64-bit driver.  You can learn more about this and other Excel solutions here.

0 Kudos
LuisLaredo
Emerging Contributor

Hello,

I agree with Robert above.  Pro would use the 64bit version of Access DB engine.  When we've 'packaged' ArcGIS apps for our organisation, we've had to include both versions for Pro and Desktop users.  Since Microsoft 365 came about, it became a bit of a problem because of compatibility with the Standard Operating Environment.  

Having said all this, in our testing, we have seen cases where people in our team, with seemingly identical setups, would be successful and not when trying to open an Excel file in ArcGIS Pro.  So in the next version, we'll be including both 32bit and 64bit versions of ADE and save ourselves the trouble.

. Luis

0 Kudos