ArcGIS Pro & Desktop on Apple M1

05-31-2021 07:30 AM
Labels (1)
SeanAdlai
New Contributor III

Apple M1 Running ArcGIS Pro and Desktop as follows

1. Apple iMac M1
https://www.apple.com/imac-24/

2. Parallels (Install parallels on M1 Computer)
https://kb.parallels.com/en/125038

3. Windows Insider preview ARM 64 (Install Windows
- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewARM64

4. Install ArcGIS Pro and/or Desktop on Windows VM

ArcGISPro_On_AppleM1.png

0 Kudos
45 Replies
SeanAdlai
New Contributor III

Thanks for the guidance Peter.

Results for iMac M1, Parallels, Windows ARM64
- Sharing - 4GB and 4 Cores
(This would be a below spec windows machine)

PAT Test Summary below.
Level 1 Test (In spec, Below avg)
- Expected Range - 2.5-3.3, Avg - 2.8
- Result - 3.164

Level 2 Test (In spec, Below avg)
- Expected Range - 4 - 15, Avg - 8
- Result - 11.122
Level 3 Test (Out of spec)
- Expected Range - 10-39, Avg - 20
- Result - 46.776

Next steps
- Testing a 16GB M1 with 8/12GB VM.

fstring
New Contributor II

Interesting result on Level 2! My macbook air with similar specs was much slower, but I wondered at the time if that was impacted by passive cooling and thermal throttling. The iMac was faster by 7 minutes!

0 Kudos
Ratul_Debnath
New Contributor II

Could anyone please tell me can I run heavy spatial analysis smoothly on a 13.3-inch MacBook Pro Apple M1 Chip with 8‑Core CPU 8‑Core GPU - Space Gray (16 GB/1 TB) using  parallels + Windows Insider preview ARM 64?

I am truly confused and need suggestions. Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
SeanAdlai
New Contributor III

Hello Ratul
Great questions.

- The M1for long-term prospects -  Right performance but Risky
The 8GB iMac performed within range. 16GB Macbook Pro test had Parallels issue.
Will let you know when I try a 16GB iMac.
BUT - A number of users make the valid point of at least waiting to see Microsoft's commitment ... etc.

- MacBook Pro 32 GB for heavy spatial analysis
I have actually tried with VMWare (Not bootcamp). Fast machine, but bad on GPU intensive tasks.
Last I checked, neither VMWare nor Parallels took full advantage of GPU on Mac running windows.

Your best bet is convincing Apple that ESRI can be a worthy partner to make their maps better :-).

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
M_Kuen
by
New Contributor

I´m lookig forward to buy a new MacBook Air to study and i need ArcGis and MS Access for it. So i can run both of them on MacOS if i use Parallels or Bootcamp? I´m asking again because i read different things about this topic.

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

Don't by M1 if you're not willing to take risk.  If you really need, for a few years to work with ArcGis and other specific Intel base program and don't have the budget to buy a PC if it's not working as expected on M1.  Real hardware is sometimes tricky but emulation is not always perfect.

If you want a Mac, go for Intel base.  With this, you will be able to remove the stress and in a few years, who knows, maybe Microsoft will release an official arm windows and maybe (I'm sure not) Esri will compile Pro to arm processors.

0 Kudos
SeanAdlai
New Contributor III

Good question.

Short answer - It works.

Caveat - longevity and support in question.

My thoughts - M1.and ARM are here to stay. Parallels is unparalleled in supporting MAC’s growing environments.

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

The problem is not ARM to stay and Parallels.  The problem is, Microsoft haven't release an official arm win. So what's the future?  Who knows?

So, if it's to play with, fine.  But, if you have limited $$$$ and really ned to use ArcGis Pro and others win program, I would play safe for now and stay with limited power of intel.

If you have the $$$ to have a second computer in case, so why not.

Hans-GerdSodermanns
New Contributor

Is the newest Parallels working with Windows or Windows ARM on M1? Its unclear for me if it runs the ARM version or the normal one. Is VMware running on M1 and can I use it to run a normal windows there? 

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

Parallels and VMware aren't emulators.  What these programs does :  making many os on the same machine.  

So, since M1 are ARM, you need ARM os.  With arm Windows, not officially release, you could make win running in parallel with macOs.  Microsoft could anytime stop letting us download this test version or maybe sell arm win to all.  Nobody can predict it.

To be clear, parallels work with windows arm.

Then, the second stage.  The programs inside each OS.  We know that macOs arm have rosetta 2 to make legacy intel program running with, to be fare, very good speed.  In windows arm, you have something like that to run intel programs.  Do the window emulator is as good as Mac one?

Remember last change of os with rosetta.  Apple leave it for a few years to make the transition and after that.  No more support.  What will be the futur of Win intel emulator?

So, for the time being, it's work but do the emulator, inside win, work with all aspect of arcgis request?

0 Kudos