ArcGIS Pro 3.2 - Make new style from an existing color ramp

Jump to solution
03-21-2024 12:49 PM
KeithAddison1
Occasional Contributor III

I have an existing color ramp in a map, I want to make it into a stylx file.  I can get as far as this:

KeithAddison1_0-1711050378865.png

But I can't figure out how to tell it to grab an existing color ramp from the map.  I don't want to create it from scratch, just use something already existing in the map.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

@KeithAddison1 - I think I have a workflow that may work better.  In ArcGIS Pro, there is a Favorites style you can use to create new symbols and color schemes.  Since you have an existing color scheme that you'd like to make into a style, here's what you can do.

1. In the Contents Pane, click the Color Scheme to open the Symbology Pane.
2. Click the dropdown menu for Color Scheme and then click "Format color scheme..."
3.  Bottom left of the Color Scheme Editor, click the "Save to a style..." button.
4.  In the "Save Color Scheme As" window, fill in the name, category, tags and select Favorites if not already selected.
5.  Click OK twice.
6. Open the Catalog View, then click Styles and Favorite.  The recently created color scheme is now part of your Favorites style.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I believe this is the workflow here you have to follow to create a new color scheme in a style file.  There is also a 5-minute video on how to create your own style from one of our Esri Instructors you can view here.

0 Kudos
KeithAddison1

The video only describes how to make a style file for point symbols.  There doesn't appear to be a similar process for color schemes.  The only way I can figure out how to reuse a custom color scheme is copy paste the layer using it or save it as a layer file, which is clunky and roundabout. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

@KeithAddison1 - I think I have a workflow that may work better.  In ArcGIS Pro, there is a Favorites style you can use to create new symbols and color schemes.  Since you have an existing color scheme that you'd like to make into a style, here's what you can do.

1. In the Contents Pane, click the Color Scheme to open the Symbology Pane.
2. Click the dropdown menu for Color Scheme and then click "Format color scheme..."
3.  Bottom left of the Color Scheme Editor, click the "Save to a style..." button.
4.  In the "Save Color Scheme As" window, fill in the name, category, tags and select Favorites if not already selected.
5.  Click OK twice.
6. Open the Catalog View, then click Styles and Favorite.  The recently created color scheme is now part of your Favorites style.

0 Kudos
KeithAddison1
It works, thanks!
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You bet!  I'm glad it worked out for you!

0 Kudos