Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro 3.0 and Pictures

Jump to solution
06-27-2022 11:03 AM
Homer
by
New Contributor II

Hi,

I recently upgraded to version 3.0 and when I open a old project file that contains pictures they show up blank.

There should be a table instead of a blank box, I was wondering if I should reinstall version 2.9 to fix this?

Thank You.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for that information! With a copied excel table I can reproduce what you are seeing. This a bug that needs to be addressed, hopefully in a 3.0 patch. Unfortunately I don't have a good work around at this time other than recreating the table in 3.0 or going back to 2.9. 

Cheers,
Aubri

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, 

Changes were made to how pictures are stored in ArcGIS Pro 3.0 to make the projects faster and smaller. While it should not have happened, it's possible that change created a bug where your picture isn't drawing properly in 3.0. What kind of picture file is missing (i.e. JPEG, PNG, TIFF)? Could you please reach out to support? They can troubleshoot the issue and log a bug you can track with the development team to address as soon as possible.  The support website is https://support.esri.com/en/products/desktop/arcgis-desktop/arcgis-pro.

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
Homer
by
New Contributor II

It's tables from an excel file. I copy and paste them directly into the ArcGIS project file in layout view. It shows up as a picture in the Table of Contents. There's no local path to it and I think its embedded directly to the project file. Could this be why it doesn't show up?  

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for that information! With a copied excel table I can reproduce what you are seeing. This a bug that needs to be addressed, hopefully in a 3.0 patch. Unfortunately I don't have a good work around at this time other than recreating the table in 3.0 or going back to 2.9. 

Cheers,
Aubri
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Here are the bug IDs if anyone wants to track the issues above:

BUG-000150818 Data copied from excel is a picture in layout. That picture is not visible after upgrading to 3.0

BUG-000150812 In some scenarios, placing your mouse in the "Path" control causes the picture to disappear.

JamesSerendip1
New Contributor III

To add to this thread, it doesn't seem that I can get ANY image files to add to a layout in ArcGIS Pro 3.0!  I have added images to layouts frequently in 2.x but the Insert>Image function seems to leave a blank box, at least with .jpg and .png files I have tried.  I have cleared my display cache and such, even tried closing and reopening Pro, but still I cannot get any image file to actually show on a layout, and if I export the layout the Insert Image box is still blank.  This is actually a rather serious problem, as we use Pro layouts to create final deliverables to display GIS work, and to make these visually appealing the inclusion of image files is fairly standard practice.  Is this an extension of the current issue, or otherwise a known bug?  If not, I'll just take it to support.

0 Kudos
JeffMoulds
Esri Contributor

Hello James,

I would recommend taking it to Support. The other bugs mentioned in this thread are related to specific workflows. 

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi James, 

Based on your description I would say this is a different issue than BUG-000150818. I'm not aware of any issues with inserting a picture using the Insert Picture command from the ribbon. I have tested this quite a bit using ArcGIS Pro 3.0. It is possible that there is something specific about your data/file structure/workflow that we did not account for in our testing.

Without additional information I cannot even guess at what the problem might be. Please contact support at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support. We will keep an eye out.

Thanks!

Tom

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
BrandonCarrick
New Contributor

I am having major issues in 3.0 when exporting layouts to PDF. My Pro Layout will look fine with the right pictures but when I export to PDF the PDF will populate random default pictures. We absolutely do not want to see random pictures on our sheets. The pictures that are supposed to be blank are the ones that are populating these randomly. I had to go back to 2.9 which was a pain because we cannot use much from 3.0. I really would like to use 3.0 because going back has created more issues.