ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3 - Why published feature service is not editable on portal?

Jump to solution
01-27-2023 06:57 AM
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I have a layer in ArcGIS Pro, stored in an Oracle Enterprise GDB which I 'Share as a Web Layer' (published) to an ArcGIS Enterprise Portal. I want this feature class to be editable and I made sure I clicked the 'enabled editing and allow editors to' (in operations in Configuration tab) 'Add', 'Update', 'Delete' (see below)

In addition, the 'reference registered data' is enabled to Feature (see below)

All looks ok but once published, the layer is not editable on the Enterprise Portal! Is there any reason or anything to tweak? I was expecting the layer to be editable...

ArcGIS_Pro_FeatureService_Edits.png

ArcGIS_Pro_FeatureService_Referenced.png

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VincentLaunstorfer

To follow-up, I found the 'issue'. In fact, the layers were actually published as editable with all 'editing' capabilities turned on... Editing works in ArcGIS Pro and/or Portal. It is just that the 'pen' editable symbol do not appear in the Content on Portal (unlike on Hostel layer) and I thought editing was not possible. It is confusing and more a GUI issue...

Editable_Symbol.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I've seen that happen, too. If you open the item's settings in your Portal (or in Server Manager), can you enable editing there?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
VincentLaunstorfer

In the Portal, I cannot change any settings for editing as data is referenced (versus to hosted), which is normal behavior according to ESRI documentation:

"If you share a web feature layer that references registered data, editing operations cannot be modified through the website for your ArcGIS organization; use ArcGIS Server Manager instead. For more information, see Edit service properties in Server Manager in the ArcGIS Enterprise help."

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/configure-web-feature-layer.htm

And unfortunately, I cannot change edits settings in ArcGIS Server Manager as I am not entitled to.

If publishing a referenced layer with edits enabled ends up not being editable in Enterprise Portal, would it be an ESRI bug?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah yes, that's right. Referenced services have to be edited through Server Manager.

It sounds like you're in Bug territory. Can you at least ask your org admin to go in and change the setting for now?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer

No chance! The ArcGIS Server do show the correct 'editing' capabilities turned on... but these feature services are not editable in Portal. Bad news. Need to investigate more...

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hm... It wouldn't be named user permissions, would it? Or User Type?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer

To follow-up, I found the 'issue'. In fact, the layers were actually published as editable with all 'editing' capabilities turned on... Editing works in ArcGIS Pro and/or Portal. It is just that the 'pen' editable symbol do not appear in the Content on Portal (unlike on Hostel layer) and I thought editing was not possible. It is confusing and more a GUI issue...

Editable_Symbol.png

0 Kudos