ArcGIS Pro 2.9: connect to enterprise geodatabase

Jump to solution
01-06-2022 11:02 AM
Boyang_Wang
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I just upgraded my ArcGIS Pro to 2.9, and I suddenly realize that I forgot how I used to add connection to my enterprise geodatabase. If I got to Connection - Database - New Database connection, it asks me to select database platform and instance. I don't remember choosing these before. Am I looking at the correct setting?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, this is standard information for a database connection.  I have added a pic of the connection properties on one of my database connections.  The database platform is the kind of database (in my case, SQL Server), the instance is the name of the database server, depending on your authentication, if its by database authentication, you would then select that type and then enter the user name and password (don't forget to check "Save User/Password" box), and then for the database you would choose the name of your database on the server, mine is "mcpagis".

ABishop_0-1641496269115.png

Amanda Bishop, GISP

View solution in original post

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you have SDE connections working in your previous version of Pro?

If so, do you remember where these files were stored on disk?

I would have thought the previous SDE connections would still be available in the upgraded version of Pro without the need to re-create new SDE connections.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, this is standard information for a database connection.  I have added a pic of the connection properties on one of my database connections.  The database platform is the kind of database (in my case, SQL Server), the instance is the name of the database server, depending on your authentication, if its by database authentication, you would then select that type and then enter the user name and password (don't forget to check "Save User/Password" box), and then for the database you would choose the name of your database on the server, mine is "mcpagis".

ABishop_0-1641496269115.png

Amanda Bishop, GISP
Boyang_Wang

Thank you for reminding me these! These fields have always been automatically popped up for me when I created the connection in new projects so I completely forgot them. I figured to view the connection properties in an old project and now I have it solved. Thanks!

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

You're welcome!  Glad to help!

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you have SDE connections working in your previous version of Pro?

If so, do you remember where these files were stored on disk?

I would have thought the previous SDE connections would still be available in the upgraded version of Pro without the need to re-create new SDE connections.

Boyang_Wang

The connection was working in my old projects but it was not stored on disk. I now have the platform, instance etc. figured out by reviewing the database connection property in an old project. Thanks!