ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2 - How to use Field Calculate tool with branch-versioned Feature Service?

05-06-2022 04:19 AM
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I am trying to use the Calculate Field geoprocessing tool to calculate an attribute in a branch-versioned Feature Service. In the Input Table, I can browse to my branch-versioned Feature Service and find my feature class. That's ok.

However, it looks like I cannot select the Version on which I will use the Calculate Field geoprocessing tool...

I guess if I run the tool, it will perform calculation on the DEFAULT version (which I don't want)

For info, I am not opening the Feature Service in the Table of Content (where I could select the Version) because it takes too long to display.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

To my knowledge, if you want to calculate the field on a child version of DEFAULT, then you'd have to add it to ArcGIS Pro, change versions and calculate the field.  In ArcGIS Pro, you can always cancel the drawing operation when you add the data, then go into the properties and set a scale dependency to not draw the data unless you're at a certain scale threshold.  That would help.

Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

I have never run the Calculate Field geoprocessing tool directly against a branch versioned feature service URL, but I believe you are correct in that it will run on the DEFAULT version if you have permissions to do so.

Have you tried unchecking the "Make newly added layers visible by default" option in ArcGIS Pro?

JoshuaYoung_0-1651848777204.png

I have that unchecked because several layers I add to ArcGIS Pro are large and slow things down. With that option unchecked, I can add a large layer and configure it (scale visibility, etc) before I turn the layer on or just leave it off.

As far as I know, the only way to run a calculation on a specific branch version in ArcGIS Pro is to add a layer to the map, set the version from the Data Source tab in the Contents pane, and then add the layer to the Calculate Field tool as the Input Table parameter.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien