Arcgis Pro 2.5 Frustration

04-29-2020 08:47 AM
TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

A couple of items that frustrate me regarding Pro's latest.

1.  Group title text in the legend.  It pops up when a layer is copied into the group even if the option was checked off (why???).  Then if you go to the new layer that was added the Group option is grayed out, so you have to proceed to each layer to see which one is controlling the group option.  This is insanely frustrating.

2.  This has been going on from the start.  Many times we need to create slight adjustments on one map to the next, so we copy the map change name, copy the layout we want to replicate, then change the map in to point to the new layout.  This results in the map being zoomed to the world extent.  Why would this be desired behavior to anyone?   

3.  Graduated classification, why is the <n label the new standard to show the range of values?  Why not give an option to change it to the way in most maps I've read or have created show as:  0-10, 10-20 etc.    

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ClayDonaldsonSWCA
Occasional Contributor II

Pro can be frustrating, but a few of your points I can help with.

1. If you right click an item in the legend and "Save as Default". Any additional layers added will use the settings you want. See: Work with a legend item—Layouts | Documentation 

Legend items can be pre-formatted using default settings. The default settings can be changed by right-clicking the legend item and clicking Save as Default. When additional legend items are added to the legend, they will conform to the last saved default.

2. The best way to deal with the extents of map frames is to make use of bookmarks. When you add new map frames, you can choose from bookmarks or the current extent. Or you can activate the map frame and then zoom to bookmark. I agree, not my favorite behavior.

TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

Great tip regarding the save as default feature, never noticed that before.  

Bookmarks are how we handle the extent change, but a note on that, I have a hard time finding my bookmark if i'm doing this many times, or (user error) I forget to make a bookmark.  I just have no idea why it's developed this way.  Seems lazy.  

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tony, 

You might want to consider setting a map frame constraint to fixed extent before switching the source map.  For more information please see Map frame constraints—Layouts | Documentation .

Hope this helps, 

Tom 

0 Kudos