ArcGIS Pro 2.5 bug for displayXY - makes all text fields 5000 characters long!

Jump to solution
05-06-2020 09:32 AM
FionaRenton1
Occasional Contributor II

This bug was logged yesterday. It seems like something that should be tested more thoroughly!

BUG-000130643 - XY Table to Point in ArcGIS Pro 2.5 does not retain the number of length for the text field from the file geodatabase table in the output point feature attribute table.

I broke my usual rule of not installing .0 versions of ESRI software!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
FionaRenton1

ESRI closed this and decided this is not a bug

So it is not in the product plan and is closed.

The response:

"Intermediate datasets are used to process the data. The datasets are created in the 'memory' workspace which makes the process very fast. The memory workspace sets all text field lengths to 5000, which gets transferred to the output. The longer field lengths do not have any adverse effects. To get the original field lengths: - Use CreateFeatureclass to create a new point FC, and specifying the original table as 'template'. - Append to transfer the features in the output of XYTableToPoints to this new FC."

Yeah I get there is a work around, but is this true?

"The longer field lengths do not have any adverse effects."??? Is this true in map services?

Does anyone know how to reopen a bug that is closed or should I escalate it?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Lame-o response.  Basically, it is just too much effort and they don't want to deal with it.

0 Kudos
FionaRenton1

I agree. I'm reopening the case. I don't believe fields of 5000 characters can have no adverse effects unless they have already tested this with a million records in a map service.

0 Kudos
FionaRenton1

ESRI changed their mind after having previously closed this as “not a bug” and will fix this in 2.7 It seems that outputting fields from displayXY  with 5000 characters are not acceptable to at least one other person. 

The status of Esri BUG-000130643 - In ArcGIS Pro 2.5, the XY Table To Point tool does not retain the length of the text field in the output point feature attribute table. - that you have been associatent Product Plan.
Public Explanation: Duplicate of BUG-000130328: While this was previously a known limit, an enhancement to the Create Feature Class tool and a refinement of the XY Table To Point code will result in the desired behavior in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.
Case Number: 02549047
Duplicate Bug Number: BUG-000130328

0 Kudos
FionaRenton1

Fixed in 2.7 

0 Kudos