ArcGIS Pro 2.3.1 frequently becomes unresponsive

03-17-2019 10:46 AM
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

I recently upgraded to 2.3.1 and I have found that Pro frequently becomes unresponsive for several minutes.  Has anybody else seen this behaviour??

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise, 64-bit, with an i5 processor, and 16 GB of RAM.

**************** UPDATE ****************

My laptop is an HP ProBook 650 G2.  It uses the Intel HD 520 which is an integrated graphics unit (built into the motherboard).  A more powerful graphics chip/card would be better but this is all I have right now.  In the Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Proguide it recoommends upgrading your graphics card driver:

ACTION: If you’re having trouble switch to OpenGL, also upgrade graphics card driver from MANUFACTURER site (not from windows update).

HP has a great support website and I was able to use my laptop's serial number to get to the specific graphics driver for the Intel HD 520.  The date on the driver was Feb 2019, very fresh. 

So far the graphics card driver upgrade appears to have solved my problem.  However, I have not done a lot in ArcGIS Pro since the driver upgrade.  But the few things I have done have been free of my previous problems.

27 Replies
DavidMcClennen
New Contributor III

I haven't had any crash/freezing issues, however I have had a recurrent issue displaying features. It's bad enough to where I reverted back to 2.2.4 twice. I'm sticking to 2.2.4 until a few more patches get released.

0 Kudos
berniejconnors

How do you revert to an older version??

0 Kudos
DavidMcClennen
New Contributor III

You have to uninstall 2.3.1 from your control panel. (It doesn't affect your project folders, since they're stored elsewhere) then reinstall 2.2 from your myesri page plus the 2.2.4 patch.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

SimonLiu1
New Contributor II

Might not be the same issue but ArcGIS Pro would hang then crash when I was working with features that are versioned (data on SDE). This was an issue for me on 2.3.1, 2.2.1, and 2.1.0...

My fix was to unregistered the data as versioned or work from a local GDB. Anecdotally I found 2.2.1 and 2.1.0 to be much more stable. Currently reverted back to 2.1.0. 

We have machines dedicated to AutoCAD and ESRI software still does't run optimally sometimes...

CPU: Intel Xeon EPU E3-1240 v5 3.50ghz

Memory: 64gb

Video: AMD FireProW7100, 8gb vram

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I experienced several days of similar behavior - ArcGIS Pro would freeze, then crash sometimes 4-5 times in a 4 our period while performing some pretty basic editing tasks.

I checked Windows updates and found a couple from early this month that hadn't completed. installed those and then checked for updates on all my drivers (Control Panel | Device Manager | Display Adaptors | Drivers --> Update Driver)

ScottSweet2
New Contributor III

I am also having FREQUENT crashes.  Not just the software either; ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2 crashes my whole computer and forces it to restart even though my specs exceed the minimum requirements.  I'm doing very simple things like editing feature classes and creating very basic layouts. These are things that would not have given me an ounce of trouble with ArcGIS Desktop. 

berniejconnors

Thanks Scott.  I'll skip the 2.3.2 upgrade.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What about the auto data indexing? Seems like that may be worth checking out. 

https://community.esri.com/message/842200-re-why-does-arcgis-pro-have-to-be-so-slow?commentID=842200... 

0 Kudos