ArcGIS Pro 2.1 | How to drag a polygon with Explore tool?

Jump to solution
05-24-2018 02:11 AM
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I am getting frustrated with the new Explore tool (Map tab) in ArcGIS Pro as I cannot click & drag a polygon to explore (formely identify in ArcMap) multiple features. Is there any workaround?

If there is no solution, please ESRI add this functionality to the next release.

There is always the option to click & drag with the Select tool but I have to open attribute tables in order to explore my features. It is rather cumbersome, in addition to ArgGIS Pro being slow.

Thanks

Tags (3)
27 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Then again, everyone survived the switch from DOS to Windows

0 Kudos
AaronCraig2
Occasional Contributor

They did. And your point?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

they will survive the migration to Pro... as did people when they moved from ArcView 3.x to Arcgis

0 Kudos
AaronCraig2
Occasional Contributor

Not sure what your getting at.. Are you saying I should not voice my opinion and criticisms? That I shouldn't be upset with ESRI for replacing a great all in one tool with a bunch of individual "tools" (some call them bandaids, others call em workarounds) and all their extra buttons and clicks?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No... you voiced yours... I voiced mine... reminding people that transition isn't going to please everyone.

It is also useful to use ArcGIS Ideas‌ to make suggestions for improvement.  Just calling out defects won't move anything forward

AaronCraig2
Occasional Contributor

I suppose then it comes down to forum moderation.... Calling out defects in the appropriate thread vs starting a new thread for every individual one... What do you suggest I do, Dan? As you can see, MY original question to this comment was HOW do we do the drag and identify. The GIF Kory originally posted does not state how to do, just that it is being done and we can see him do it. 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I don't typically like to do this, but I marked my answer as correct since what was being asked for in this thread (draw a polygon with the Explore tool with the end goal of multi-select to identify features) was implemented at ArcGIS Pro 2.2.

AaronCraig2
Occasional Contributor

Right. Which I can see, but TO MY original question on this comment thread and to the answer you posted and marked as correct, you don't actually explain in that post to hold ctrl then drag. The first mention of that seems to be in the tool tip you showed me.

If you decide to keep your post as the correct answer, to the question of this thread, can you edit it to include the ctrl + drag part?

Thanks

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Aaron,

A pattern that is used throughout the Pro interface is to provide tool tips when you hover over something.  To do a rectangle select with the Explore tool, hold Ctrl and drag a rectangle:

Holding Shift will give you the zoom rectangle.  

AaronCraig2
Occasional Contributor

Good to know Kory. Thanks. I haven't left my mouse on explore long enough to see that. Or any tool tips really.. They do not stand out to me. I would not have been able to guess that was an intended pattern without you pointing out that.

Will there be continued development of the explore tool? 

0 Kudos