Select to view content in your preferred language

ARCGIS MAP IMPORT

04-04-2018 12:45 PM
RobertStevens
Occasional Contributor III

After having spent the better part of three hours importing maps (from arcmap) in arcpro it (arcpro) crashed and I lost all my imports.

My patience with ESRI's software engineering wore out years ago. Bugs that are never fixed. Software versions that are incompatible and require us to keep ponying up thousands of dollars. And now this.

ESRI: do you think that you could perhaps make a product that has adequate QR before it is unleashed on your suffering customer base?

Please don't bother calling me back. I am not going to go through that catechism about what platform, what version, blah blah blah.. The crash report has been submitted. There is no way I am going to spend hours trying to reproduce it. Don't call: just make reliable software. Is that asking too much?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks, Robert.  I think I am seeing what you're seeing now.  

I'm not sure that we're really using the same imported maps, but here is what I'm doing.

Import C:\ArcGIS\Business Analyst\US_2016\Data\2016 Business Analyst.mxd 10 times into a Pro project. 

Save the project.

Opening the project takes 13-14 minutes.  I'm going to pass this along to the development team to take a look at this from the Pro performance side of things.

From the workflow side of things, we may need to rethink about best practices for bringing BA mxds into a Pro project.  For example, if most of the data being brought over really is just used as reference/basemap data, we don't need to include that at all.  Maybe create layer files of the data of interest and add to a Pro map?  Are you able to use the provided online basemaps?  Just thinking through ways we might get you moving quickly again...

0 Kudos
RobertStevens

Ty

I will let you know what happens on a pure windows platform when my

colleague

has tested it. he should be able to do so today.

Rob

0 Kudos
RobertStevens

Xander

The slow performance I experience is not a function of the virtual platform.

A pure windows10 machine shows the same problem.

Rob Stevens