Adding jpg to ArcGIS Pro Map: "Failed to add data, unsupported data type'"

Jump to solution
06-20-2019 09:36 AM
KaeleighPasula
New Contributor

I have been trying to georeference in ArcGIS Pro to a jpeg. I have done this several times before, but this time, when I try to add the image to the map, I get the error message "failed to add data, unsupported data type". Strangely, I was also getting this message while trying to import a .TIF, but if I right clicked on the tiff or the jpg in the catalog and converted to TIFF or JPEG using "Export to Different Format" I could get the images to appear on the map. Now however, the georeference tool is greyed out and cannot be used. What am I doing wrong in terms of adding plain images to be georeferenced on the map?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor
4 Replies
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Kaeleigh,

What is the file extension of the file you are trying to add, JPEG?  If so, rename it to JPG and try to add it again.

Lance

KaeleighPasula
New Contributor

The files were all either .jpg or .TIF. 

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

So you are able to get the image to load just your georeference tools are grayed out?

Have you tried the solutions noted in:

InsightCivil
New Contributor

I am having the same issue. Yes, the file is .jpg. Why are these kinds of things always so problematic with ArcGIS? Why does it time-consuming require research to figure out how to do the sorts of things that would be intuitive in the average software suite?

0 Kudos