Adding fields to Raster attribute tables

11-29-2021 07:58 AM
RobertoRossi
Occasional Contributor

It seems is no longer possible (it was in ArcMap) to Add field to Raster Attribute tables, except through the Add Field geoprocessing tool.

The Add field button in the table window is inactive and it shows the message "This command is currently unavailable. The project has unsaved edits or the table or its schema is read only".

AddField.jpg

My opinion is that in ArcGIS Pro ArcGIS raster table schema is inactive by default.

Can anyone confirm (or deny) this?

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.8 and it's the same in 2.9

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
RobertoRossi
Occasional Contributor

Thanks DanPatterson,

@DanPatterson wrote:

integer raster, it works from the toolbox, not the table

The same for me

@DanPatterson wrote:

Build raster attribute table

Go to Fields View

Add field

The same for me.

So, recapping:

1. If you try to add a field straight from the Table view: it doesn't work
  2. If you try to add a field from the Field view: it works only if you have previously built the Raster Attribute Table with the omonime geoprocessing tool
  3. you can always Add field via the Add Field Geoprocessing tool (also without building the Raster Attribute Table with the geoprocessing tool)
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

without re-reading and re-checking everything, that is what I think I confirmed.

The probable reason is that the "shortcut" has limitations that only the simplest of cases permits its use and that the shortcut is not a full-fledged access to the tools in ArcToolbox

... sort of retired...
RobertoRossi
Occasional Contributor

Dan, I did non understood your answer ("the probably reason is...")

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

the "shortcut" is adding a field from the table.  It doesn't allow you to specify or check Environments and other influencing factors.  Only Tools in ArcToolbox provide the access points to have full control of functionality.

A shortcut will by virtue, have defaults and anything outside of that realm "probably" disables the shortcut.

Hence, I always use tools in arctoolbox (or access tools via python) if the functionality exists there even if a "shortcut" exists.  

Historically the tools in arctoolbox have barely changed (except for enhanced functionality and perhaps movement with the toolsets etc).  Remember the "visual" transition from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro... and the "where did X go?  where did button Y go?  Didn't happen for me since I largely use tools, if available, over shortcuts/buttons

... sort of retired...
KyleC
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hello everyone, thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. BUG-000144887 was logged for this issue, and the current status of the bug is 'In Product Plan'. 

KolaKareem
New Contributor

Hi RobertoROssi,
I do not know if you may have solved your problem. Actually, your problem might be related to having an active edit session while you try to edit the other raster. I would recommend you save your project (Cntrl S), locate the Edit button on the ribbon, a Save button will be activated under the Edit. Hit it and try to Add Field again.