AcrPro Random Color Symbology

Jump to solution
08-31-2018 06:27 AM
pctuserpittsfield
New Contributor III

I am trying to replicate the automated random color symbology in ArcMap for tax neighborhoods but ArcPro tends to group unique values together (or use only about 6 different colors) defeating the point of unique value symbolization... is there a work around?  See screen shots for exact example

ArcMap:

ArcMap unique Random Symbology

ArcPro

ArcPRO unique Random Symbology

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Have you upgraded to ArcGIS Pro 2.3 yet?  The new update has more color schemes to choose from. I read somewhere that AGP 2.3 now displays data similar to ArcMap in with default symbologies and default colors.  Haven't checked the Random Color Scheme yet.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

in both scenarios, you can "show name" on the dropdown (or rightclick ??) on the color ramp.

Go to both and get the color ramp name.  Your Pro color map seems to be something other than the random one

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One thing I've tried to better randomize the colors is the following workflow:

• In the Symbology Pane, click the Color Scheme dropdown.
  • Change the Color Scheme to Random Color Scheme.
  • Click Format Color Scheme... to open the Color Scheme Editor.
  • Click Regenerate or change the Minimum Color and Maximum Color to change the random colors.
  • Click Regenerate and then OK.

Does the randomness along polygon borders improve?

0 Kudos
pctuserpittsfield
New Contributor III

Thanks,

Dan - it's definitely the random one which is why it is strange that I'm having trouble getting a diverse variety of colors.

Robert -  I have tried that as well and can't seem to get anything better. It seems as if in ArcMap there was a better color-method that followed a 4 or 5 color theorem.  
I am surprised that i wasn't able to find anyone else with a similar problem.  

Does "Basic Random" do a better job for anyone else?  in my case there are 83 unique values(neighborhoods).

Regenerated "Basic Random" Scheme in ArcPro

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

min max color

it might be assigning alphabetically along the colors.  Is there a way to set the min/max to None or something (don't have Pro open now)

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Found something interesting!  It has to do with the circular color ramp on the Color Scheme Editor.  One can grab a dot and vary the angle to expose more "random" colors.  See my screen grab below.Color Scheme Editor

pctuserpittsfield
New Contributor III

Thanks again,

you might on to something Dan with the colors being alphabetically assigned.

I've tried the to replicate the exact setting you have Robert but am not getting the mix your getting : (.

even in your example while the colors are spread out better, there isn't that much variety, some next to each other look very similar (lowland broad-leaf).

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hmmm...this is odd for sure.  Here's one possible workaround until I can figure what's going on.  In ArcMap, add your feature class, assign the random color ramp that you prefer to see, save it out as a *.lyr file and add the *.lyr file in an AGP map.  Not ideal granted but preserves the randomness you prefer to see.  I'll keep digging!

0 Kudos
pctuserpittsfield
New Contributor III

Thanks!
This is actually is a workable solution that I was working towards.  
After some trial and error, it seems only this layer has the issues mentioned but others that I use the random color scheme for turn out fine, however doesn't explain why it looks good in ArcMap and not ArcPro.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

True.  Try this - export the feature class out to a new feature class and/or geodatabase.  Does the error persist on the copy?

0 Kudos