Select to view content in your preferred language

Updating registered view field alias and domains in Data Design Fields

08-15-2024 10:20 PM
Labels (1)
DavidGifford
Frequent Contributor

This is actually two ideas but closely related so thought I would bundle them together.

In ArcCatalog it was possible to set the field alias and apply domains in a single interface, in the feature class properties:

DavidGifford_0-1723784651287.png

I have just noticed in Pro's equivalent Data Design=>Fields that this function has been removed:

DavidGifford_1-1723784836473.png

Notice though that Pro still displays these alias and domain settings, so not sure why this wouldn't be supported in data design?

Pro's Alter Field and Assign Domain To Field tools can alter registered views field alias and domains.

So my idea is, please add the ability to alter the field alias and domain for registered views using the Field Data Design form. Pro supports registered view field alias and domains so it makes sense to me to edit them here.

6 Comments
jcarlson

How are you connected to the data source? Normally this works just fine, but your screenshot shows a "this view is read-only" notice.

Bud
by
Bud
by

Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB

Like you said, with a registered database view, I was able to apply a domain and an alias to a field using ArcCatalog 10.7.1 > Properties:

Bud_0-1723818061441.png

The domain and alias work as expected in the attribute table in both ArcMap 10.7.1 and ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5.

I submitted a couple of Esri Support cases:

Esri Case #03701138 Database view (registered with the geodatabase) — Can change field alias via Alter Field, but not via Fields View [ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5]

New: BUG-000170076 - Unable to alter the Alias of a field for a registered View via the Fields menu in ArcGIS Pro

Esri Case #03701213 Database view (registered with the geodatabase) — Can set field domain using ArcCatalog, but not ArcGIS Pro [ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5]

Existing/closed; working as designed: BUG-000135931 - When changing the domain assignment on a database view, the table is shown as read-only and does not allow the change.
Explanation - Views are read-only. Assigning domains to fields is supported using the Assign Domain To Field geoprocessing tool. Displaying a mixed state in the fields view of editable and non-editable properties is not in the current product plan.

DavidGifford

Hi @jcarlson

I'm using a normal SDE connection in Pro 2.9 and 3.3. Regular feature classes are okay and not read only.

I didn't mention the database I'm using, which is SQL Server.

Regards
David

DavidGifford

Hi @Bud 

Thanks for your reply! Are your cases for file geodatabases or enterprise geodatabases?

I can't track your cases but it will be interesting to see how they progress. Normally the response is "as designed".

Regards
David

Bud
by

@DavidGifford My Esri cases pertain to testing in an Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB.

Support did submit a new bug report for the alias issue: BUG-000170076. But I suspect Esri devs consider that to be working as designed, just like the domain issue. So, I think that means this idea is still valid.