Select to view content in your preferred language

Show one row of recently used colors in ArcGIS Pro Symbology pane

02-03-2023 09:20 AM
Labels (1)
HollyTorpey_LSA
Frequent Contributor

It would be great if there were one row of recently used colors at the top of the color dialog in the Symbology pane. I often think of this when I change a symbol and lose the color I had chosen for the previous symbol. I also work in ArcGIS Online a lot, and it's so convenient how the last three colors are always available. I wish Pro had something similar.
HollyTorpey_LSA_0-1675443386178.png

Workflow example:

If I have point and polygon layers for the same species in a map showing different species habitats, I might want to use the same color for both. If I create a custom color for the first one, I'll use its hex code to apply it to the other two. I often forget to grab the hex code while I'm in the Color Properties dialog the first time, and then it's ten clicks to get back to it and apply it once I'm out (select the previous layer in the TOC, click on the color, click on Color Properties, copy the hex code, click Cancel, select the other layer in the TOC, click the current color in the Symbology pane, click color properties, paste the hex code, click OK). It would be a big time saver if one row of my recent colors were right at the top of the color dialog (like a one-line style might appear there).

If something like this already exists and I'm missing it, please enlighten me!

Thanks!

5 Comments
KoryKramer

Since you said you already have the color you want in the map, couldn't you just use the Eyedropper to instantly set the color?

KoryKramer_1-1675445845812.png

HollyTorpey_LSA

Yes, I guess that is fewer clicks than grabbing the hex code, but if one of the other features is not currently in my zoom extent (common with the data I'm working with since species occurrence points can be few and far between) it's still several clicks (select the other layer in the TOC, right click, zoom to layer, select the first layer in the TOC, click on the symbol in the Symbology Pane, click on the color, click the eyedropper tool, click on the feature).

HollyTorpey_LSA

Also, if it's the first case I mentioned, where I have changed the symbol type on a single layer and now want to use the same color I had previously chosen, then there is no longer a feature on the map to use the eyedropper tool on. In that case, I end up having to undo my symbol change, drill down to the hex code, copy it, and then change the symbol again and paste in the copied hex code.

wayfaringrob

Yes, this would be very nice, especially when I don't really want to save the color to my favorites or go to the trouble to create a style for the project. Office apps do this, too, and so does AGOL (to a limited extent).

JesseWickizer

@Kory1313, another reason the eyedropper may not work is if the color you want is from a layer with transparency or blending.