Rename the "Define Projection" tool

04-02-2011 05:56 AM
Labels (1)
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

All too often, people use the Define Projection tool when they really want to use the Project tool, thinking that if they use it, their data will be projected into the coordinate system that they want.

I suggest that the Define Projection tool

• be renamed to Initial Projection or Fix Projection something similar OR
  • checks to prevent projected data being defined as geographic should be implemented and persistent in the interface
  • Also, this tool should, or could be disabled, if a coordinate system already exists, allowing the user time to think about what they are really trying to do. 

The two proposals Initial and Fix projection could call the same code essentially, allowing one to define a coordinate system for which one doesn't exist or to fix one that is incorrect.

19 Comments
BenLeslie1

With that argument don't you end up needing four tools:

• Project for going from a geographic coord system to a projected one
  • Reproject for changing between projected systems
  • Unproject for going from a projected system to a geographic one
  • and one, that I can't think of a name for, for switching between geographic systems
DanPatterson_Retired

No, my students typically think Define Projection is Project because they think the 'Project tool' is the one they want to use for their project (try a different emphasis on 'project' and you will see. )  Things were much easier when projection on the fly didn't exist...

BenLeslie1

...which is why I suggested Reproject was a better name.

DanPatterson_Retired

and then they get into an endless loop because they would say... we didn't project them at all. 

As you can see a losing battle until a better warning system is in place.. I have even thought that red-flagging layers in the TOC that differ from that of the data frame (ie map, in Pro) would be useful.

BenLeslie1

Yes, actually that would be better.

DanPatterson_Retired
PärSmårs

The definition of the two is clear. No need to change.

DanPatterson

Still no change in 2021 and the problems persist

MargaretCrawford
Status changed to: Under Consideration

We understand that the existing Define Projection tool name can be confusing. Renaming the tool is a point of discussion for our teams. We appreciate the suggestions and votes for this idea.