Select to view content in your preferred language

"Quantity by category" symbology in Pro

05-15-2018 10:20 AM
Labels (1)
AlexBrasch
New Contributor III

Make multi-attribute symbology available in Pro. 

Example of desired result: points represented as different sizes per numeric field and different colors per category text field. There is currently no obvious way to achieve this result from the Symbology menu. It can be somewhat achieved via Unique Values and Vary Symbology By Attribute (Size); however, there seem to be a few limitations when compared to the ArcMap method. Namely, the ability to classify does not seem to exist (see the attached screenshots).

Adding the ability to classify (based on Natural Breaks, Equal Interval, etc.) would be a great improvement, and so would allowing the user to change the legend item names (i.e. the values are currently not rounded to whole numbers).

Moderator Note

Updated title to reflect the name of the symbology choice in ArcMap

19 Comments
BranislavBlagojevic

Unfortunately, NO! We welcome the eighth year with this Bug - ESRI's mockery at the user's expense, all in the name of the inability and ignorance of the development team to fix the Bug. @CraigWilliams writes that it is planned to be solved... maybe it will in the 22nd century in the version of ArcGIS Super Super Pro.

CraigWilliams

We're actively working on this now and it's a near-term road map item.

@BranislavBlagojevic - you mentioned another issue in this thread, do you have details on this?

BranislavBlagojevic

@CraigWilliams, Thanks!

After many years, I'm glad to hear that! I hope we will see that fix in the next patch of AGP 3.0 and 3.1
1. Yes! I am talking about the following: the solution should include both quantitative and qualitative attributes/values of any FC (point, line and polygon), from any type of geodatabase (file, mobile or enterprise) whose symbolization is predefined with RGB, CMYK or HSV color values.
2. The colors should be reflected on the map and legend!
3. If the FC already contains predefined RGB, CMYK or HSV values in a field, the step of linking with attributes is unnecessary, except for multi or bivariate maps -- Vary symbology by attributes!
4. Primary symbology with a choice of unique values of RGB, CMYK or HSV (from a field), should automatically decode and display colors on the map and legend.

I hope that is clear. The same is described here from other users.
Thank you!

CraigWilliams

@BranislavBlagojevic Thank you for the explanation. That case is more complex. When using data driven symbolization where the variation can differ per feature we have the problems of 1) all combinations aren't known until the data is queried fully - for large data this can be intensive and 2) The number of legend items could be massive.

We're exploring approaches for handling this case while keeping performance in mind.

BranislavBlagojevic

Thank you!

Géomatix

When we symbolize entities according two attributes, it would be necessary to be able to indicate a different color for the second attribute used. For example, I produce a road map including the annual average daily flow of the number of vehicles by road sections. I use as main symbolization the single value mode for the first attribute (the road categories) and, for the second attribute, the Vary symbolization by attribute mode set on size. It is then impossible to assign a color for the second attribute. The color used must be the same as the one appearing as the first category in the legend for the first attribute. There is no flexibility and the resulting map can be misinterpreted.

Géomatix

One of the problems with Quantity by Category symbology in ArcGIS Pro, in addition to the lack of flexibility, is that you cannot assign a specific color to features using variation by attributes by size. Sorry.

AlexBrasch

Nearly six years since my original post and this issue has yet to be solved...I've given up hope that Esri will take this seriously; however, I'm still in need of a way to represent quantity and category. Does anyone have any workarounds for Pro? In lieu of that, I'll be using other software like I have for much of my other spatial analysis and mapping needs.

CraigWilliams
Status changed to: Implemented

At the ArcGIS Pro 3.3 release we’ve added capabilities to Vary symbology by attribute > Size and Color to account for cases Quantity by Category symbolization handled in ArcMap. Unlike ArcMap, this isn't a specific symbology option. ArcGIS Pro supports numerous multivariate visualization capabilities, so we've updated them to support the full Quantity by Category workflow.

For Size:

When combining Unique Values symbology with Vary symbology by attribute > Size you can now classify the data instead of using a continuous size variation. When the data is classified, you can choose to Show expanded legend which will show the permutations of each classed size for each unique value.

For Color:

When combining Unique Values symbology with Vary symbology by attribute > Color you can now classify the data instead of using a continuous size variation. There are two options for how to apply the color scheme: Overwrite all color attributes and Preserve hues only. Use the Preserve hues only option to show color variation for each unique hue of the unique values you have in their map. You can choose to Show expanded legend which will show the permutations of each classed color for each unique value.