Select to view content in your preferred language

"Add to Legend" option in context-menu of Table of Contents

03-10-2016 04:23 PM
Labels (1)
AdamForknall
Occasional Contributor III

Adding a layer to the legend requires more effort than it should, if the legend is set to not automatically add new layers. Instead of having to click through 3 or 4 menus/dialogs, it would be ideal if a layer could be right-clicked in the Table of Contents, and the option "Add to Legend" be presented if a legend is existing in the layout.

28 Comments
by Anonymous User

I was looking for this exact idea. Please implement this!! Everyday I want to do this, instead of drag and drop. 100 kudos if I could. 

MapMan1

Please add this functionality! Just a simple right click "Add to Legend" would be so helpful when I have a lot of layers on a map. Every day I want to do this, instead of drag and drop. 

MapMan1

Another option would be to be able to COPY layers from the Contents Pane and then PASTE the layer(s) into the legend. Just right click on the legend and select "Paste".

AndreaB_

Still a great idea!

RoseF
by

I just want to add that I like the drag and drop capability in Pro for adding to my legend. This way, I can decide and quickly change the order of layers in the legend.

That said, I would also use an "add to legend" option if it was available. Probably every day. 

IlkaIllers1

Very often, I do not have the synchronization of map layers activated for the legend, since I will be adding duplicate and dummy layers. When I then want to add a layer to the legend, I have to drag it up (or down), which in layouts with a lot of elements can be very annoying.

I would love the capability to maybe right click on a layer and then have the option "Add to legend". 

BrookeAumann

OMG this would be so helpful, or some other mechanism besides drag and drop. That was also not intuitive when going from ArcMap to Pro.

ChristinaCoulter

Yes! Having the option to right-click on a feature class in the table of contents and be able to choose the option to "add to legend" instead of dragging and dropping it into the legend in the drawing order of the layout tab would be so much easier and less likely to cause re-ordering issues if the drag and drop lags and simply moves the item 'up' in the drawing order and doesn't add it to the legend.