Select to view content in your preferred language

Prompt User to Select Which Symbology To Keep When Grouping Values

03-07-2023 07:04 AM
Labels (1)
Jeremy_Z
Occasional Contributor

When working with unique values, we often will need to refine and group some of our listed values for symbology after the fact. Let's say one value isn't needed anymore and you want to group it with others, or it makes sense to group them later after doing all of your in depth symbology work.

Jeremy_Z_0-1678201069817.png

When you group your values at this point, there is no control over which value's symbology is kept, unless you know to select the one you want to keep first. In my experience, very few users know about this, and time/frustration could be saved by bringing this to the forefront or having a simple prompt to select which symbology you want to keep.

Jeremy_Z_1-1678201311209.png

I'm suggesting when clicking Group Values, a prompt for keeping symbology/formatting of one value over the other here.

Simple example here, but I think we've all gone through a lot of trouble figuring out complex symbology for polygon features, just to have it get messed up here. 

3 Comments
Jeremy_Z

I should mention, this came from a conversation in the comments section with @GIS-Chops on Youtube here.

(51) ArcGIS Pro Tutorial - Group Symbology Categories - YouTube

He's hit the same issue before and we both thought it'd be a easy to implement idea.

wayfaringrob

Hmmm, I don't know if this is necessary? It keeps the first one you click. I'd be annoyed by another prompt to be honest.

Jeremy_Z

It sure would help many new users or other folks. It could be a one time reminder or anything to let them know, as most don't seem to.

I did mention how it currently works, but that isn't really noted anywhere on the surface for end users.

Jeremy_Z_0-1680211751277.png