Organize Favorites in Catolog View

05-21-2021 01:05 PM
Labels (1)
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III

Currently ArcGIS Pro allows us to add as many favorites as we want in the catalog view.  However there is no mechanism to organize the favorites which makes using favorites cumbersome to work with.  I think that ESRI should consider organizing favorites in a way that is similar to how web browsers allow users to organize bookmarks.

For example:

• Allow users to right click on a favorite to view the source of a favorite.  This is especially important various web services, or when working on multiple projects that have similar names.  Example:  How would I know if "Data" refers to D:\CountyA\Data or D:\CountyB\Data
  • Allow users to flip between the friendly name of a favorite to the source of a favorite.
  • Allow Favorites to be grouped in virtual sub folders.  This will be useful to organize data by geographic area and or the type of data such as air photos*

MarkVolz_0-1621627450386.png

Thanks!

3 Comments
NaicongLi
Status changed to: Under Consideration

DavidCarpenter

I would have to agree on this one and I am surprised there isn't more comments or Kudos.

We just started exploring 2.9.x (still using 2.8.x) and I was shocked to see that the Favorites is still an organizational nightmare.  At minimum organize things in the Catalog pane alphabetically or something like ArcMap did.  We have many folders, many database connections to different schemas, and many ArcGIS Server connections, currently its like all the connections were put in a bucket, shaken, and then dumped in the Catalog pane making it very hard to quickly find what you need.

I was pumped to see that you can now give Folder connections an alias, then I tried it and realized you can only do that when they are added to the project.  Wrong approach; we need to organize the Favorites, so if you allow the alias' to be assigned in Favorites all you need to do is retain it much like ArcMap would.  As Mark mentioned this would make life way easier when picking the connections you need for a project.

EmmaVWKnowles

I agree, I need to be able to organise favourites into "folders" of some sort, or at least rename them to make clear which is which when sorted alphabetically.