Only show attribute tables of active Map in ArcGIS Pro

04-18-2019 03:22 PM
Labels (1)
ChristinaLindsay
New Contributor II

In ArcGIS Pro it would be nice to only have attribute tables open for a Map that is currently being viewed.  I'm trying to take advantage of using multiple maps in one ArcGIS Pro project.  In ArcGIS Desktop I created several mxds, but in Pro i combined all these mxds into one .aprx.  These mxds had a layer that was the same name in each one, but each contained different data. For example, there was a layer called "MasterFeatureClass" in each mxd, but the data itself was different.

When I imported these mxds into ArcGIS Pro it made it simpler in the fact that I didn't have to open each mxd.  The problem is that when I open up "MasterFeatureClass" for a particular map that is on display it still stays up when I click onto another map.  It confuses me and I think this is the table for the map that I switched over to.

I tried renaming "MasterFeatureClass" in the Table of Contents to make them unique so I would know which table belongs to which maps.  However, I have a python set up and it didn't like when I renamed the labels.  I also tried grouping the attribute table to the same tab as the map.  This works, but not if I'm viewing more than two maps since it will get cluttered.  

To avoid confusion it seems the only way is to close each map and only have one open at a time.  This works, but it would be nice to have more than one map if they are both needed.

So having the attribute tables open for only the active map would be helpful.

17 Comments
janrykr1

Yes please. We need this function. Can it be option of the attribute table pane to sync the tables shown with the active map? 

StaciDratler

This would be very useful! Or at least be able to dock the attribute table in the map view like another frame or view with in the map frame. 

DavidVelhartický

By more Maps opend in one ArcGIS Pro, I´m usually lost, which Attribute table belongs to which map / scene / ...

Please, set a possibility to be able to identify, which Attribute table is connected to which map/scene - for example by a colored table/map/scene name section, which you click when you want to see/activate this o that window.

Thank you.

DavidGifford

When an attribute table from a layer in say Map 1 is opened, the table remains visible even after switching to another map (say Map 2). If both Map 1 and Map 2 have the same layer name it can become quite confusing as to which table is linked to which layer in which map.

In certain circumstances it would be useful to link the table display to the active map, so that switching between maps also changes the table display (or no table if an attribute table hasn't been opened in a map). This would certainly remove the ambiguity of always displaying the attribute table/s regardless of the active map.

I can see the benefits of allowing attribute tables from various maps to always remain visible, so there should be the flexibility to define this.

Perhaps the ability to dock an attribute table within the map frame itself, while keeping the existing table functionality, is all that is required?

RandyCasey

I would rather have the option to control which tables can or cannot stay visible with an associated or unassociated active map. This could be as simple as "pinning" a map (i.e., a pin icon on the table's tab) so that it stays visible regardless of which map is active. I would even settle for right clicking the table's tab and selecting a command like "Pin table", or "Remain visible while switching maps". Similar functionality to this has been done before. The colored tabs idea is good but would be a vision accessibility barrier for those who have difficulty discerning colors.

JaredMitchell_RIDOT

Something to identify which tables belong to layers in the currently active map would be very welcome.

Samuel_McAuley

I like the colour idea, however for me this functionality is as much about identifying which table is associated with which map as it is about just reducing screen clutter when working on multiple tasks across different maps. Sometimes I am jumping between tasks and would really like to have a separate map to separate the tasks at hand and it is really annoying having the attribute table from another map on the screen when it is not relevant to what I am doing in that moment.