New Connection (WMS/WFS) allow giving a name

09-22-2017 12:06 PM
Jan_Tjallingvan_der_Wal
New Contributor III

Connections receive an auto-generated name that tends to be long and have the differentiating part at the end. And at the and  means out of view in the often times narrow Catalog Pane (right side of the screen).

Include a Name field (text-box) in the New Connection Dialogue (could be the first field) such that a user can set the name to something short and distinctive telling him/her which is which.

Currently the handling of a.o. WFS leaves much to be desired and several different tries (e.g. what version of the protocol has been speficief) may come in to existence while the user is trying to find a solution that actually works. Allowing a name to be given would be very helpful.

And while you're busy improving the naming, maybe include an option to reset the name of a Connection from the Content Pane > Properties dialogue.

So they can relabel the one that finally is found to working to a distinctive name setting apart from the non-functioning remainder.

3 Comments
KoryKramer

Jan, as for the renaming part of the idea, are you not able to rename your WFS connections in the Catalog pane?

Jan_Tjallingvan_der_Wal

I tried but do not recall being succesfull. And after the fact I have found may be too late. It can be hard to see, or retrace which is which. I have had a hell of a time getting WFS of revised shipping lanes to work.
And to be really honest none of them worked with ArcGIS Pro. I got that chore completed with QGIS 2.18.
That felt embarrassing to me and I guess it would be to ESRI. It should be.

It is a tell-tale sign that there are website and services that specifically have an 'ESRI-friendly' specification of a WFS. Somehow this seems wrong to me.

CordulaGöke

It is possible to name them after clicking OK. To name them while creating would be much more effective. Same applies to notebooks.