Select to view content in your preferred language

Make it more obvious what connection/DB a FC uses

06-30-2022 02:54 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

I have multiple connections to two different databases in ArcGIS Pro: DEV and PROD. The objects in the two DBs look identical. So it’s easy to mix up what connection/DB is being used by an object in the map.

There are helpful practices we can use, like only using a single DB/connection in a given map. And that does help. But it’s still easy to get your wires crossed and accidentally edit/test in the wrong DB.

We can also check an object’s source in the table of contents properties to see what DB the object is in. But that only helps us if we're actually aware that we might not be using the right connection/DB. There are still cases rare where we unknowingly do stuff using the wrong connection.

Could Esri make it more obvious what connection is being used by a given object in Pro? For example, put the connection or DB name in brackets or greyed-out text — after the object name in the table-of-contents or in the attribute window. Something like that?

Thoughts?

We have that kind of functionality in SQL clients like Toad and SQL Developer. Tabs/queries have the DB name right in the tab title. We can also color-code connections & tabs, such as green for DEV and red for PROD. So those kinds of things help avoid confusion about what connection/DB we’re using. Whereas with ArcGIS Pro, it’s less obvious and easier to make mistakes.

2 Comments
JohannesLindner

Does List By Datasorce cover that?

JohannesLindner_0-1656585191959.png

Bud
by

@JohannesLindner Good point. It's easy to forget about that tab.

I think I'd still like it if I could mouseover the object in the main TOC tab or the attribute table, and get more information like the connection/DB. But maybe that's just me.