Keyboard Navigation of Catalog; Type to Select Item

08-10-2022 11:13 AM
Labels (1)
NickNuebel
New Contributor II

Enable keyboard navigation of catalog. In ArcMap, it was possible to type the first couple characters and immediately snap selection to the folder or item you were after. For folders or databases containing many items, this was an indispensable method for quickly navigating. Without this feature, I estimate that I spend an extra hour + every week just scrolling and clicking through catalog like a pleb. 

Sweet Jesus-- why did we LOSE features in something as fundamental as catalog? 

7 Comments
wayfaringrob

It's ArcGIS PRO - Prior Reliability Omitted.

NickNuebel

@wayfaringrob Ha! I though it was PRO for Pretty Reliably Onerous. 

wayfaringrob

@NickNuebel  It's a good thing there's no "F" anywhere in the name. I'd have plenty more.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Hi @NickNuebel and @wayfaringrob 

I wanted to chime in here for a few reasons:

1. The Catalog pane in Pro does work this way in a limited capacity; i.e. it is very tightly bound to the item in focus. Here is an example of this working:

CatalogPane_keyboardNavigation.gif

The "in a limited capacity" is the part that we will work on with the goal of relaxing that current focus behavior to make this work better for you (and other ArcGIS Pro users).

2. Please take a few minutes to review the Community Guidelines, specifically the guiding principles of "Be Helpful. Be Human. Be Smart." There is some great guidance in there about keeping your posts positive and your comments constructive and I'd encourage you to review each of those sections completely. Hopefully it will help to elevate the conversation rather than distract from it as I feel it has with this idea.

3. We do appreciate you using ArcGIS Ideas to share your requests for new features and improved functionality with us and I want to personally thank you for engaging with us here - it helps us to continually improve our products. So thank you! 

cc @JesseCloutier @BriannaEttley (Esri Community team for visibility)

Bud
by

It would be nice if this functionality would work for enterprise geodatabases too.

For example, in Oracle EGDBs, objects are prefixed with the owner/schema/user.

• CORPORATE.PARCELS
  • OPERERATIONS.CREEKS
  • OPERERATIONS.ROADS
  • OPERERATIONS.SIDEWALKS
  • TRANSPORTATION.TRAFFIC_LIGHTS

If I were to type "O", then the selection would move to the first object in the OPERATIONS owner/schema/user. That works, but it would be great if there were a way to navigate to an object within a given prefix. So, within the OPERATIONS prefix, search for an object with a specific name by searching for "OPERATIONS.R" for ROADS.

NaicongLi
Status changed to: In Product Plan

AmeliaBradshaw
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.1. Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.1.

The Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.1 blog will be wrapped up soon, highlighting all Ideas implemented in this release, including this one. Once complete, I will add the link to this comment.