Select to view content in your preferred language

Icons for custom geoprocessing tools - ArcGIS Pro

10-16-2020 08:03 AM
Labels (1)
JeremyGraham
New Contributor II

In ArcMap 10.X one could create and assign custom icons that could be added to the toolbar. In ArcGIS Pro there is nice ability to add custom tools/scripttools to the ribbon, however it seems that the ability to add the icons did not make it and the only option is the default scrollpaper icon. For those who often create customized tools for sponsors it would add a nice finishing touch.

16 Comments
MargaretCrawford

@Glasnoct is it possible that the tool is in a legacy toolbox (.tbx) or python toolbox (.pyt),  rather than a ArcGIS toolbox (.atbx) ? In this case, you will not be able to apply a custom icon.

DanGreene

Hello,

I can get the icons on the Ribbon to work per my previous example.  But I am leaning toward the view icons from the toolbox option when you hover over the tool.  However, it is buggy so I may have to try the next release of PRO.   I am running 3.2.2.   Sometimes I add the toolbox and all of the icons display when I hover over the tool and sometimes, I have to VIEW metadata to get them to all display when I hover over them.  Or sometimes they just eventually show up.  The first time I added the toolbox today they all showed up.  The second and third times that I closed out of PRO and tried again only a couple showed when I hovered over the tool.  However, If I right clicked to view the metadata once then they would show up after that (sometimes more than just the one I selected to view metadata).  I am leaning towards this method because then for installs I only need to distribute and document the toolbox whereas the ribbon may take a bit more on the documentation and user's part.

DanGreene_0-1718233691655.png

DanGreene_1-1718233780016.png

DanGreene_3-1718233843579.png

DanGreene_4-1718233900322.png

Thoughts?

Note:  I upgraded to PRO 3.3 and the same bug remains.  I also tried saving as a project, opening the project and still the bug.

Dan

MargaretCrawford

Hello @DanGreene

There are a few concepts you are mixing up here. The Icon and Illustration set in Tool Properties is not the same and the Thumbnail set in the tool Metadata

Since the thumbnail is not always displaying on hover it is likely a bug. You can log this issue with tech support here: https://support.esri.com/en-us/contact 

DanGreene

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for you continued support and also the link for reporting a potential bug.  And, yes, they are not the same thing, but both are solutions to what I am trying to do.  There is extensive documentation for each of the tools used currently with ArcMap and each includes pictures of the tools on a toolbar.  Thus, I want to retain those ICON pictures with PRO to minimize documentation changes.

So, my next step will be the potential bug report using the link you shared and then to run through what it would take to implement the new toolbox in PRO with either way of presenting the icons so that they would be available to the user for whatever project they create.

Thanks again for sharing your expertise,

Dan

Glasnoct

@MargaretCrawford It is a python toolbox. Sad that that functionality is not available. Would be nice if that was added.

DanGreene

Morning,

I reported the Catalog Metadata ICON ("Thumbnail") problem with a Standard Toolbox - Thumbnail display when hovering over a tool in the Toolbox to ESRI - (not a python toolbox).  They determined that it was indeed a bug but did not have a date for a potential fix.  Now if they would enhance the Toolbox so that one could change the default icon that appears next to each tool that would even be better (I.E. the default icons use the icons in the metadata).  However, this will solve my need to crosswalk the icons with the ArcMap documentation for the 12 tools and makes it simple to distribute the toolbox.  I also plan to also experiment some more with the Analysis Tool Gallery option to see if this presents any extra overhead for the users when I get some time.

Dan