Having built-in polygon outline styles in ArcGIS Pro

03-09-2018 11:49 PM
Labels (1)
GergelySzalay2
New Contributor III

It is nice and comfortable in ArcGIS Desktop to have a predefined built-in set of polygon outline styles when one would like to simply and quickly differenciate some polygons from others by their outline styles. Also, it is useful to have a similar built.-in style, when just minor adjustments should be made on it to meet your needs.

This is more useful, when one would like to use complex composite outline style using style layers.

Alas, this possibility is missing in ArcGIS Pro and I would appreciate to have it in the coming versions!

9 Comments
KoryKramer
GergelySzalay2

Yes, it is.

MattSmith6

Yes please, I've only started using Pro in the same way as Desktop quite recently and this is a major bugbear.

If you have two layers that you want to symbolise in the same way (eg. Coastline & Water Polygon) it's near impossible if you have a line style with any great complexity

圈圈
by

这是我最希望ArcGIS Pro增加的功能,明明在Arcmap中早就有的功能

JamalNUMAN

Yes, please we need this enhancement

KeithAddison1

Recreating linetypes manually is getting old after a year of Pro.  Hope this gets implemented.

MatDunford

This is junk. I don't need a big pink blob on my aerial photo. I need customizable boundaries. I might have a county boundary, a watershed boundary, a unit boundary, property lines....I'm supposed to do all this with a color and a dash effect?

I need the line symbols available for polygon boundaries or a lot more pre-built options 

PegGronemeyer1

Yes, Please!  Add my vote to this.  Why would we want to create our own outline boundary when _usually_ the provided options in ArcMap were sufficient?  

Found potential work around if  you save the standard ArcMap symbols as a style with a dif name than the default, it will be stored in your style file.  You may have to search for it, (generally it is called your user name.style).  It's actually quite easy to import an ArcMap style into Pro.  (https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/mapping/mapping/importing-older-styles-into-arcgis-pro/#:~....)  Just be sure to select "all styles" instead of project styles in the symbology window that opens in Pro when you double click on a symbol in the TOC.  Hope that helps.

Peg

AmeliaBradshaw
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.1. You can now add a line symbol style as a polygon outline style using the 'Import layers from a symbol' option, as described in the Symbol Structure documentation. Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.1.

The Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.1 blog will be wrapped up soon, highlighting all Ideas implemented in this release, including this one. Once complete, I will add the link to this comment.