Have ArcGIS Pro's Layer to KML behave like the ArcMap Layer to KML

08-21-2019 11:16 AM
Labels (1)
RichardHughes2
Occasional Contributor III

I'd like to recommend that the ArcGIS Pro Layer to KML tool have the same behavior as the ArcMap Layer to KML in regards to how domain descriptions are maintained.  ArcGIS Pro is not maintaining the domain descriptions, while ArcMap does.  This makes ArcMap preferable when exporting KML.  This is an everyday task for a lot of people so a fix would be very desirable since we really want to migrate to Pro.  This type of issues would prevent me from being able to recommend that people use it.

Has anyone else seen this where ArcGIS Pro domain descriptions are not included in the KML output?  The documentation does explain how using the Environment Variables and Conversion Table to Table tool will add the descriptions by appending the fields with d_ and populating with the description.  That is not going to work for me because my fields names are very confusing and I rely on the alias.  Retrieving the alias and deleting the old fields before converting KML seems unnecessary since it works in ArcMap out of the box.

The situation is that exporting to KML using the domain descriptions without modifying the schema is possible in ArcMap but not ArcGIS Pro.

5 Comments
ThomasColson
DrewFlater
Status changed to: Under Consideration

We can reproduce the issue with domain descriptions not being carried over to the output KML. This issue will be resolved in the near term. Note, we will make the Layer To KML tool honor the choice in the Transfer Domain Descriptions environment https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/environment-settings/transfer-domain-descrip... . So you will need to apply that setting to get the description values in the output KML. 

Derek_Scholar

@DrewFlater Have there been any updates on resolving this issue? I am running ArcPro 3.2.0 and The Transfer Domain Descriptions is checked in my Environment settings but it still does not seem to be working. I use this tool very often for internal use and more than half of the fields that carry over to the KMZ contain numeric domain values. Allowing the Layer to KML tool honor the domain descriptions with be extremely helpful for our organization. 

DrewFlater

Hi @Derek_Scholar this work is in progress now for the ArcGIS Pro 3.3 release. Initial testing is showing this option may be supported again in 3.3, but I'll reserve that final determination for when 3.3 is closer to releasing. 

DrewFlater
Status changed to: In Product Plan

There are a few other things described in the comments, but the main point of the Idea is the support of transfering domain descriptions from the input to the output KML/KMZ. 

This issue will be resolved in the ArcGIS Pro 3.3 release, now in Beta. The Layer To KML tool now honors the choice in the Transfer Domain Descriptions environment https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/environment-settings/transfer-domain-descrip... . So you will need to apply that setting to get the description values in the output KML.