Force ArcGIS PRO to remain in Background in Windows while Saving or Exporting

07-26-2018 03:08 PM
Labels (1)
SeanHlousek
Occasional Contributor III

I've noticed that when I save a project or export a layout if I switch windows while the project is saving or exporting that ArcGIS PRO will revert to the window where I was saving/exporting when the operation is complete even if I'm actively working in another window. 

I would like it of Saving/Exporting was kept in the background if I'm working in another window.

If you'd like to test this try opening a Word document, then go save your ArcGIS PRO project. While the project is saving switch back to your Word document and type. When ArcGIS PRO finishes saving it will automatically interrupt your typing in Word to show you it has finished saving the project.  You can also try writing an email or anything else, ArcGIS PRO interrupts anything else I work on while it saves. 

7 Comments
KoryKramer

I don't see this.  I tried saving and exporting, and then working in Word while Pro was working.  When Pro finished, the icon in the taskbar just turned orange but didn't interrupt the work I was doing.

SeanHlousek

Kory,

Thanks for the reply and testing.

How about when loading a new layout? Can you open a new layout and then type in Word while the layout is loading?

Maybe I'll have to get on the horn with tech support again....

-Sean

KoryKramer

Yes, I can open a new layout and type in Word while the layout is loading. I get the same behavior as described above where the Pro icon blinks orange to let me know that it completed something, but it doesn't interrupt what I'm doing in Word.

Don't know if this makes any difference but I'm on Windows 10.  You?

SeanHlousek

Yes Windows ten….

However, with regards to MS Office: We are working through MS Office 365. Do you have the ability to replicate that environment? In my experience there are considerable differences in the way windows (and the programs within it) work when in conjunction with MS Office 365.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Does anyone there have the ability to test Pro with MS Office 365 generally regarding performance? I’m beginning to wonder if there’s a connection between general performance issues in Pro and MS Office 365.

Thanks,

Sean

SeanHlousek

Kory,

As an addendum to my prior email about Office 365, specifically I’m noticing performance hits when trying to label complex feature classes. I have a feature class that has three label classes based on SQL expressions, and then three different labeling schema’s and that combination seems to slow my performance down considerably.

I just don’t know if the performance I’m seeing is due in part to some sort of conflict with MS Office 365 or if Pro just takes longer than ArcMap labeling….

Sean

KoryKramer

That's an interesting observation, Sean.  As for replicating an environment to test performance, I'd recommend opening a case with technical support as they have the resources to do deeper troubleshooting.  

Thank you.

SeanHlousek

Thanks Kory,

I’ll do that when my workload lightens up a bit.

Sean