For ArcGIS Pro Raster Symbology enable "lock" statistics from custom view extend to apply for the whole image

05-26-2018 08:50 PM
Labels (1)
PatrickSeastar
New Contributor III

I work a lot with Satellite Imagery. For an optimal/useful raster display I need to change the default stretch (to a custom strech). In ArcMap it was possible to get very good parameters (statistics on what the stretch is based on) by playing in the symbology window with the "from current display extent" (DRA Dynamic Range) and then "lock" this by choosing "From custom settings (below)".

Unfortunately this seems not to work in ArcGIS Pro (tested on 2.1.2 and below). 
I would like to propose to add (back) this functionality to ArcGIS Pro as to be able to "lock" statistics for the raster display from a custom view extend.

I like ArcGIS pro, but missing this feature makes it next to useless for me for creating maps with imperfect satellite imagery (esp. if the imagery contains some clouds or haze) as a basemap.

This should be an easy fix as it would just require to store the DRA (Dynamic Range) imagery statistics from a custom view extend and copy/apply them for the whole image.

How to "lock" a DRA/stats (Dynamic Range) for a custom view extend ArcGIS Pro raster symbology? 

8 Comments
Javier_AntonioEscudero
MichelleTotman

I want to be able to do the same thing for DEMs. Don't know if the tool would need to be any different for multiband vs. single band data.

Javier_AntonioEscudero

This tool is designed only for RGB colorizers. However, the same logic could be applied for a stretch colorizer (DEM layer).

Please visit this website for more information about colorizers.

ProSnippets Raster · Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk Wiki · GitHub 

Regards

DuncanHornby

I'm using Arcpro 2.6.2 and when I use DRA the labels on the raster layer in the table of contents do not update, I've had to abandon ArcPro and go back to ArcMap, this needs to be resolved!

KevinHanson1

I agree, this needs to be fixed/modified. Our agency deals with lots of mosaic datasets of LIDAR data and DRA works great for visualizing your display extent. However the elevation values in the Contents pane and eventual legend show the min and max from the entire mosaic dataset rather than display extent. This works in ArcGIS Desktop 10.7.1 but not in ArcGIS Pro 2.6.2. Is there a work around for this? 

KoryKramer
Status changed to: In Product Plan

This will be in ArcGIS Pro 3.0 due out later this month.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

This functionality has been added in ArcGIS Pro 3.0. See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.0  to see this and all of the other ideas you can look forward to when you upgrade.

Also be sure to check out the What's New documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro.htm 

KevinHanson1

Thanks Kory! I will check it out when we upgrade to 3.0. 

-Kevin