Select to view content in your preferred language

Edit Vertices Pane — "Add Part" button

12-07-2023 07:57 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8; Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB:

When editing a feature, there are likely several ways to add an additional part to the feature. However, I can't always find that functionality when I want it. My intuition is to look for an "Add Part" button in the Edit Vertices Pane. But I don't see a button like that there.

Bud_0-1701964593343.png

Could an "Add Part" button be added to Edit Vertices?

4 Comments
JMutunga

@Bud You can use Continue Feature off the bat without going through Edit Vertices to create additional parts to an existing line or polygon feature. You can also edit vertices with the Continue Feature tool if the Vertex Editing command on the toolbar is enabled.

Is there a particular reason in your workflow for not using Continue Feature and have to use Edit Vertices first? 

Bud
by

@JMutunga I like to see the parts (and each part's vertices) in list form when I'm editing. So that I don't miss any small, overlapping, or incorrectly placed parts (and also review M and Z values). I like to see the "back end" of the data to ensure that the feature is structured correctly.

JMutunga

@Bud Okay. So is the question then 'how I can quickly switch from Edit Vertices to creating a multipart feature?'  If the answer is Yes, then try this and let me know if it works for you:

1. Open Edit Vertices tool

2. Select a polygon feature. Edit Vertices should activate.

3. On the Editing toolbar (at the bottom of the map view), click Continue Feature. The tool opens and you can proceed to create additional parts. You can also see (and can edit) coordinates in the Sketch Properties grid on the tool's pane.  

JosphatMutunga_0-1701997490381.png

JosphatMutunga_1-1701997814698.png

Bud
by

@JMutunga That works as expected, thanks.

However, I still think it would be more intuitive to have an "Add Part" button in the list of parts as well.