Select to view content in your preferred language

Edit lyr files properties in ArcGIS Pro

11-03-2017 04:34 AM
Labels (1)
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Now I know that saving layer files as lyr format is "not in production" despite many of us scream for this functionality, but I have come across a chicken and egg situation. About 9.9 times out of 10 when someone sends me a shapefile with the associated lyr file they have not created it with a relative path so the lyr file is pointing to their local machine.

In ArcMap you can right click on a lyr file in the catalog panel (or ArcCatalog) go to properties and reset the data source path and this updates the lyr file. You are then able to add the layerfile to the map and display the data.

Would be very helpful if ArcPro can expose the properties of a lyr file so these sort of errors can be fixed.

I could do it in ArcMap, but I'm using pro and bringing in the broken lyr file into ArcPro, fixing the data source internally is no use as I can't save it back as a lyr file! No point creating a lyrx if everyone else is using ArcMap...

13 Comments
EmikoCarrell

This should be very simple. I want to be able to view the layer (.lyrx) properties by right clicking on the layer in Catalog View or the Catalog Pane. Below is a screen shot of this context menu option in ArcCatalog 10.x. Beneath that is the screen shot of the context menu with this functionality absent in ArcGIS Pro 2.9. 

ArcCatalog 10.x:

EmikoCarrell_0-1686007651497.png

ArcGIS Pro 2.9:

EmikoCarrell_1-1686007852691.png

mmoEditor

This is quite a significant equivalency issue in Pro. The time it takes and the workflows required to make simple changes to lyr/lyrx file is rather messy for simple changes. The ability to edit Symbology, labels and definition queries in a Catalog View solves a significant problem especially when make changes quite often to a lyr(x) to get it right.

Being able to fix this mess in a Catalog View is gold!

mmoEditor_0-1689281386865.png

Joey_Lecky

Definitely related to this issue: when creating layer files...

The 'Save to Layer File' gp tool has a checkbox for "store relative path." But if you right-click a layer and select Sharing > Save as Layer File, or use the ribbon (Share tab >  Layer File) that option for relative paths is nowhere to be found. Though at least it appears the default behavior in the latter workflow is to use relative paths. Then of course there is no way to view properties of a layer file and confirm one way or the other.

And I agree that with ArcMap it was nice to be able to view and edit a layer file in catalog rather than having to add it to a map, make changes to the layer, and save out a new layer file.