Select to view content in your preferred language

Don't lock all FCs in a feature dataset

08-10-2023 10:34 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

In a feature dataset:

If UserA has FC1 open in a map or Catalog, then all the FCs in the FD become locked.
UserB can't delete FC2 from the FD, even if no one else is using FC2.

Could that behavior be changed so that FC2 is not locked?

Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB

5 Comments
SSWoodward
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thanks for the Idea, @Bud

What types of feature classes are in your Feature Dataset?  Classes in a feature dataset should all participate in some sort of extension dataset like a topology, parcel fabric or utility network.

Could you outline the workflow you're using that requires you to delete a class that participates in an extension dataset while its in use?

Bud
by

The FD only has normal point and line FCs in it right now. It doesn't currently have an extension dataset like a topology, parcel fabric or utility network. It had a topology dataset at one time, but not currently. We plan to create a topology in the future.

We have an old FC in the FD that is no longer needed. We want to delete it.

SSWoodward

What version of Pro are you using?

I'm not seeing this behavior with simple feature classes. 

I have a FD set in Oracle that contains class_1 and class_2.  I add class_1 to the map, I am able to delete class_2.

Bud
by

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8. It works the same in ArcMap 10.7.1.

I suspect it would work the same in the latest version of Pro too. What if you get a co-worker to lock class_1 and then you try to delete class_2?

I don't think you'd be able to lock data against your own user. I think only other users can lock the data.

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Open

Of course. Yes, that reproduces what you are discussing.