Customize the Ribbon - making it easier to find active tabs, enable drag and drop

09-25-2020 06:02 AM
Labels (1)
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro has very many tools.  They made it easier to find all these tools by only displaying context-sensitive tabs.  However, it is very difficult to customize the ribbon because there are so many tools and tabs, which some seem redundant.  For example, there are 3 georeference tabs under the "Main Tabs" heading.

I would like to see the following enhancements in the Customize the Ribbon dialog

• Add an option to display only the visible and or active tabs.
  • Allow drag and drop from the customize the ribbon dialog directly to the tab.

These enhancements should make customizing the ribbon more intuitive.

2 Comments
MarkVolz

I forgot to mention please add a search tools dialog in the quick access toolbar similar to MS Office and the customize the ribbon dialog.

KoryKramer

Hi Mark Volz‌,

Add search to ArcGIS Pro ribbon is already over here and the good news is that there has been some good headway made in terms of developing this.  I will check in with the team to see if that is ready for a status update...

Pro teams understand that the current customize experience has room for improvement and have been making some changes to make it better in 2.7.  For this comment 

For example, there are 3 georeference tabs under the "Main Tabs" heading.

that will be addressed in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.  Here is a snapshot of 2.6.x that demonstrates what you're talking about:

The reason this happens is that there are different contexts where georeferencing shows up - mostly for raster or CAD/BIM.  In 2.7, the duplicates are removed and commands are grouped under a single Georeference node with more description added to help the user understand which commands are which. 

In the screenshot below, you can also see that Pixel Editor is a single node as opposed to above where we see three instances.

Other than that, your idea is valid to make customizing the ribbon easier.  There are some similar ideas out there.  Like this one which is specific to the Quick Access Toolbar, but really with the same intent:

ArcGIS Pro: Rearranging quick access toolbar tools by clicking and dragging 

Thanks again for your idea!