Select to view content in your preferred language

Could 'Label geographic center' be added as a label placement option?

07-29-2020 06:34 AM
Labels (1)
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Posting this on behalf of Chris Goodner‌ from Could 'Label geographic center' be added as a label placement option? 

I am working with multi-part polygons and would like to have 'Label geographic center' added as an option alongside 'Label largest feature part' for label placement (see attachment).  I currently either have to keep labels in places that are not intuitive for users or spend time manually placing labels that are converted to annotations/graphics, which make them static labels so if the feature gets edited, I then have to edit the labels as well.  If a check box could be added similar to 'Label largest feature part' my workflows would be greatly improved.

Tags (2)
4 Comments
CraigWilliams
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Does the center option on internal polygon zones work for you in this case?

KoryKramer

@ChrisGoodner please see Craig's Needs Clarification question above.

Thanks

WendyHarrison
Status changed to: Closed

Closed pending further clarification

chill_gis_dude

This is such a no brainer. Labelling multipart polygons is a headache. Multipart polygon labelling.PNG

Here I have 3 separate multipart polygons. I've gone through every labelling option and there is nothing to put the label in the center of each multipart polygon. Our management is confused why one of our properties is only able to have "Raisin City" in every polygon or only the biggest, and it leads to a lot of confusion. As a result I'm constantly having to use the generate minimum bounding geometry tool or a dissolve and overlay it with transparent polygons and labels centered which leads to clunky workflows, especially when our data is changing and has to be dynamic.