Allow me to choose the editing template of the starting course of the Traverse tool.

04-01-2021 12:04 PM
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

I can't find a way to choose the editing template for my layer that is used when I hit the New button and the Set Start Location button in the Traverse tool.  My layer is symbolized based on a field with a coded domain, and every time I start a new traverse the tool always chooses the alphabetically first item in the domain as the editing template no matter what I do.  I rarely want to use that template and I have to manually change the template virtually every time I create a traverse.

The Traverse tool doesn't respect the active template I have chosen in the Create Feature pane.  The Traverse tool has its own template drop down that can switch the template the Traverse tool uses for each course of the traverse using choices that are limited to the applicable templates for the layer I have chosen in the tool, which is probably the reason it can't respect the Create Feature pane template.  Also after a template is chosen in the drop down each added course will use that template until another is chosen.  However, every time a new traverse is started the template the Traverse tool uses for the initial course of the traverse is essentially arbitrary and can only be changed manually after a traverse has been started.  This adds extra mouse movements and three mouse clicks to change the template nearly every time I create a new traverse.  That is extremely tedious, time consuming and inefficient when I am doing a large number of traverses, such as doing separate traverses for all of the property side yard boundaries that divide hundreds of lots in a tract.

I need a setting that will make it possible for me to choose the template that will initially be used by the Traverse tool when I hit the New button or the Set Start Location button that will apply to every new traverse I create until I change that initial template setting.

7 Comments
KoryKramer

Hi @RichardFairhurst 

If you click on the symbol, you should get a dropdown where you can choose the template:

KoryKramer_0-1617311679800.png

Is this what you're looking for? 

We understand that there is an opportunity to improve the UI, and the team has plans to do that, but for now we just wanted to make sure that you aren't stuck.  Is this what you are looking for?

Let us know and thank you,

Kory

RichardFairhurst

No.  I want to choose the template before ever creating any traverse and before the drop down is available.  I am currently having to use the drop down every time for thousands of new traverses that only have one course.  My traverses always start with the top item in my domain and ignore the field default value.

Traverse_Initial_Template.JPG

If I am creating side-yard traverses. I want a way to set the starting template for the traverse tool to use the template below once and have it stay that way as long as I am working on side-yards.  It should take me a total of 1 mouse move and 3 mouse clicks to do this.  Then I may do 300 separate traverses in a row with this template for an average tract.  Currently to do that I have to add 1,495 more mouse moves and clicks using the drop down for 299 of the side yard traverses.  I want to avoid this wasteful and tedious set of steps that almost doubles the time I spend working on these traverses.

Traverse_Chosen_Template.JPG

If I am creating centerline traverses. I want a way to set the starting template for the traverse tool to use the template below once and have it stay that way as long as I am working on centerlines.  It should take me a total of 1 mouse move and 3 mouse clicks to do this.  Then I may do 40 separate traverses in a row with this template for an average tract.  Currently to do that I have to add 195 more mouse moves and clicks using the drop down for 39 of the Centerline traverses.  I want to avoid this tedious set of steps that almost doubles the time I spend working on these traverses.

Traverse_Chosen_Template2.JPG

A potential way to solve this is by adding another drop down to the main body of the tool under the Layer drop down for the Initial Traverse Template.  The picture below shows what the tool should look like immediately after pressing the Set Starting Location button and choosing a position on the map.  This would make the Traverse tool act like the Create Features tool, where I only have to choose an editing template once to create as many features as I want with that template until I change the template in the Create Features tool window.

Proposed Traverse Tool.jpg

KoryKramer

Thank you for the clarification @RichardFairhurst Makes sense.

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: In Product Plan

Until it gets implemented, the workaround is to duplicate the layer. Since the layer persist between sessions, creating one layer for each template will is an easy workaround. 

JasonCamerano

Hello @RichardFairhurst 

I'm happy to inform that this request has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.2!

RichardFairhurst

Thank you for implementing this enhancement and the video demonstrating how it works.  The behavior is much more like the way the Create Features template works and it makes it much easier to quickly create a set of single course features that all need to be classified using the same attribute/symbology.

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented with ArcGIS Pro 3.2