Select to view content in your preferred language

Allow F2 as next operation after "Group"

07-22-2024 07:12 PM
Labels (1)
RTPL_AU
Frequent Contributor

Currently when creating a new Group in the Contents Pane by selecting a couple of layers > right click > Group, the new group has to be clicked on to select it before F2 will activate a rename operation.
Although the new group is highlighted after Pro creates it, it is somehow not really selected.

As I am sure everybody renames "New Group Layer" to something else, the global wear & tear on mice must be awful for Mr Dangermond to carry on his shoulders, so I hope this is implemented quickly.

11 Comments
KoryKramer
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@RTPL_AU @wayfaringrob @LindaWilliams2 I tried this in ArcGIS Pro 3.3.1 using either the shortcut, or the right-click > Group. 

Both times I was able to hit F2 without any additional clicks to rename the group. I must be missing a step. Since the three of you are experiencing this behavior, can you share more details to help us understand what you're doing?

Thanks

RTPL_AU

Different PCs, different Pro versions (latest on 3.3.1) and this has never worked for me. Lodged a bug with Esri AU a long time ago and it went nowhere. 

Open Pro > add a bunch of datasets to a map > select a few > right click > "Group" > F2 = nothing.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

https://support.esri.com/en-us/bug/when-creating-a-new-group-layer-and-pressing-f2-on-the-bug-000144... 

Marked as non-reproducible in ArcGIS Pro 2.9. I tried in ArcGIS Pro 3.3.1 and do not get this behavior. @LindaWilliams1 @wayfaringrob @xz3 it sounds like you are also seeing this behavior, given that you have kudo'd the idea. Or maybe you kudo'd the idea even though you aren't seeing the described behavior? If you find that this is not working, it would be considered a bug and we'll need steps that reproduce the problem submitted to technical support. I've tried following these steps by @RTPL_AU and it works:

Open Pro > add a bunch of datasets to a map > select a few > right click > "Group" > F2 = nothing.

LindaWilliams1

I'm not sure what I had been doing, but I know that I always ended up opening properties and changing the group name that way. This idea seemed like a faster way to rename a new group.

KoryKramer

Does it work as expected for you now @LindaWilliams1 ?

RTPL_AU

@KoryKramer I don't know what to say. This has never worked for me; multiple different computers, Win 10 & Win 11, Various Pro versions.  I don't use Pro on my laptop without a real mouse - will try that again using the trackpad and see if it makes a difference.

I've just tried this:

Open Pro. Add new map. Right click on Map and click "New Group Layer" - no data loaded at all. Hit F2 and ..... nothing.

I'm installing a fresh Win 11 VM in HyperV on another desktop PC and will get Pro 3.3.1 on it and see what it does.  I think I've tried it before in 2.5 but will see if 3.3.1 is different.

Can you describe your system (desktop, laptop, with a real mouse, wired or bluetooth or Logitech?)
I've always used a Logitech MX Master but tried two different good wired gaming mice when trying to troubleshoot the laggy nature of Pro with Esri AU a while ago and that didn't make a difference.

RTPL_AU

@KoryKramer 

OK
Created a new Win 11 Hyper V vm from a Microsoft ISO and installed a fresh download of Pro 3.3 exe installer
(use Hyper V as anyone with Win 11 Pro on a decent device can replicate what I just did without needing any external tools/licenses/etc.

Updated Pro to 3.3.1 before trying anything. 

No Windows updates (just updated Winget to get .Net)
No GPU setting changes; running in the Hyper V VM connection and not via RDP. As vanilla as you can get.

Open Pro. 

Add map, no data.

Right Click on Map, "New Group Layer"   Hit F2 - IT WORKS.  Do it a couple more times. All work

Select all the new groups and right click > "Group" and F2

Nothing.

Close Pro. 

Open Pro.

Grab a bunch of often used enviro data.

Select all 22 layers > right click > Group > F2 > Works

Select 5 of the now grouped layers > right click > Group > F2 > Nothing.

Ungroup everything and try random combinations of layers - no worky worky.

This has been my experience with Pro since it was launched. 

KoryKramer

@RTPL_AU Now I am seeing something where if the Map is in focus, F2 will trigger rename on the map. If the group layer is in focus, F2 triggers rename on the group layer.

Example of the map being in focus:

KoryKramer_0-1722348268070.png

What I've seen in 3.3.1 is that if the map is in focus, creating a new group layer, despite the group layer being selected, F2 triggers rename on the map. 

KoryKramer_1-1722348395202.png

This still sounds a bit different than what you're seeing since you say that nothing happens for you in certain scenarios. I interpret that to mean that F2 doesn't even trigger rename on the map.

When F2 does nothing for you, where is the focus? Is the Contents pane in focus? When you use your arrows, where do you see the thin dotted outline indicating focus?

RTPL_AU

@KoryKramer 
I've seen it catch the map title as well.

Basically a 1 in 3 that it will rename the right item (1 = nothing, 2 = wrong item, 3 = buy a beer & celebrate!)

The map will be in focus for 'New Group Layer' but not when you select a few items and use 'Group'.
I guess a group will be in focus if you select the group name and then add 'New Group Layer'.

I guess we are back to refining the idea to make F2 consistent and intuitive for any related TOC operation.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: In Product Plan

Hi @RTPL_AU I was able to dig into this more with the dev team yesterday. We see the inconsistency as discussed throughout this thread. This should be resolved in ArcGIS Pro 3.4, but the fix is too risky for a patch. So until 3.4, you may need to use arrow keys to ensure focus on the correct group before using F2. Thanks for sticking with me as we narrowed this down.