Add search to ArcGIS Pro ribbon

01-09-2018 07:51 AM
Labels (1)
SeanSweeney
New Contributor III

The Microsoft Office 2016+ ribbon has a search bar to the right of the ribbon tabs that says "Tell me what you want to do" (see Do things quickly with Tell Me). This is a built-in implementation of the Office Labs: Search Commands, which has been available nearly since the ribbon was introduced in Office.

From the first link above: "This is a text field where you can enter words and phrases about what you want to do next and quickly get to features you want to use or actions you want to perform."

This search allows you to quickly find a command or tool without clicking through all the the ribbon tabs and manually searching through all of the groups to find what you're looking for.

Tell me what you want to do

Clear formatting

This is especially handy for rarely used tools that you haven't memorized the location of, but reality in Office I find myself just using it for all but the most basic operations and I never have to learn or care where things are buried on the ribbon.

3 Comments
MattWilkie3

A thousand times YES!

(and please also make sure to include a keyboard shortcut to get to it. Office uses [Alt-Q].)

DavidConnell

YES. What I really need is a way to search all the crap across all the ribbons and all the tools in ArcGIS Pro. You know how on a Mac you can click "Help" in the menu bar and type in what you're looking for, and then it highlights where that thing is in the interface? Something like that. As of now, if I'm looking for something, I have to click through every ribbon tab, and open a bunch of drop downs within each tab. It's so frustrating. 

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented