Add Additional Details in Catalog View in ArcGIS PRO

05-03-2018 11:57 AM
Labels (1)
SeanHlousek
Occasional Contributor III

It would be good to add additional Details to the Catalog View (and Catalog Pane).  

Right now Maps and Layouts have a column for Date but nothing is populated.  Date is only populated in Databases.  

Date should be populated for all elements that are visible in Catalog.

Additionally the Document Path should be an additional column to help us ensure that we are pathed to correct data. 

Snapshot of Catalog View Showing Maps with no Dates and no Document Paths

58 Comments
Klaus_B_Vestergaard

Please allow dates to be shown for feature classes and rasters in geodatabase.

MatthewLJohnson

Adding the extra details such as date modified, size etc for files within a FGDB would be really useful within our organization. Currently we are having to check the Geoprocessing history to find the date that the feature class was updated. We would appreciate an update.

ErikKöpp

A lot of people are awaiting for this. Can't be implemented soon enough.

DrewDowling

@MatthewLJohnsonI know it's super annoying. I keep ArcCatalog installed on a bunch of servers just to allow me to check modified dates. I must try the geoprocessing history approach although I don't know if it is triggered when using arcpy scripts?

ThomasCrossman

Adding my vote for Modified Date and Size columns in Catalog View, and, to be clear, these fields should properly populate for both sources (databases, shapefiles, etc.) and feature classes within them (where applicable).  An earlier post (@SeanHlousek) reported a conversation with Esri at the UC that said that the information for these columns used to be retrieved from the OS but that Pro works differently, so that isn't possible anymore.  Really?  Well, ArcCatalog on the same machine with Pro still works just fine.  That means it isn't a change in the OS that is making information retrieval impossible; it's Esri code in Pro that doesn't work the way it needs to.  Your code, your programmers, Esri--Please, just make it happen ... and I suspect that the development that needs to be done to implement the above functionality would also make it much easier to add back the ability to customize the fields shown and also to customize the filetypes displayed, along with the icons of your choice.  These were basic and, to me anyway, highly valuable functionality in ArcCatalog.  Way past time for this.  Hop to it.

CarlosGutierrez4

It is unbelievable that this has not been implemented yet. This is basic functionality that should absolutely be included in any software that claims to be "Pro".

by Anonymous User

This is an essential pieces of data management that is missing from ArcPro's Catalog view. I still use ArcCatalog for this reason.

LisaBuckleton_dtwd

Date and size on disk are needed for efficient data management. 

It is very annoying that these aren't displayed in ArcGIS Pro Catalog.  Given the naming convention used for the files on disk, it isn't even possible to use the operating system to approximate the size of the dataset.  Simply not acceptable for a high-end GIS.

KoryKramer

@Anonymous User and @LisaBuckleton_dtwd thank you for your recent comments to voice the importance of getting this functionality into ArcGIS Pro. This is on the roadmap for near-term release. In terms of using ArcGIS Ideas, I didn't see votes (kudos) from you on this request. Please be sure to add your kudos which is the primary way we monitor traction and trending of requests coming through Ideas.

Thank you!

Aline_Wbg

I'm happy it's being consider for the next release, but I could really use it now :), guess I can use it on later projects then .

Date of creation/rewriting (if overwrite output is TRUE) is super important!!

Thank you!!