Select to view content in your preferred language

Add a "Stop whatever you are doing now" button to Pro

08-26-2024 06:28 PM
Labels (1)
RTPL_AU
Frequent Contributor

Add a button to Pro to make it stop anything and everything it is trying to do at that point.

Due to memory leaks or sun spots, sometimes Pro goes off on a journey of self discovery. I need a button to pull it back into the here & now so that I can save my project and close the offending instance.

If I copied a layer, forget it and come back. 
If I tried to navigate to a gdb from a geoprocessing tool, ignore it and give me back control.
If I clicked a pretty colour in the Symbology tool, just ignore me and revert to previous state.

Make it an "Enable at own risk" thing, separate plugin, or whatever is needed to protect non-advanced users from its power. I accept the potential issues but they're less of a risk than Pro corrupting something or eventually just crashing because it couldn't find the road home.

3 Comments
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Cancelling GP tools midway through - nope, gotta think about that first. 

Or like right now for me - "You're trying to copy 167,000 records? No worries - come back tomorrow please" 🙃🌴

RTPL_AU

The GP cancel process in 3.3.x seems to be a bit better. 

The Stop button is for those situations where you aren't actively processing anything but Pro is on its own mission. 🤔

Haha - a sanity check before doing anything 'serious' would be handy. Only 167,000 though? 🤣

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

@RTPL_AU Nice to know! Hopefully we can get around to testing and rolling out 3.3 before Christmas! (won't hold my breath). 

I was pleasantly surprised when that copy was successful in around 5 minutes or so!