Select to view content in your preferred language

Ability to reorganize and group GP History Favorites

02-17-2023 06:41 AM
Labels (1)
CalebGarrett
Occasional Contributor

I would like the ability to reorganize and group GP History Favorites. I realize they can be sorted and filtered, but having the ability to manually reorganize and group them much like you can do layers in the Contents Pane would make finding the GP History Favorite much easier and more efficient.

4 Comments
JonathanNeal

@CalebGarrett This could be useful.  Great idea.  History to Model using groups would be a natural follow up to this.

wayfaringrob

In lieu of authoring a project log, it would be helpful to use the history pane so that future versions of me or my successors can see what was done and how to repeat it.

The first step to this would be the ability to rename or annotate history items (see History: allow annotation or alias of item names - Esri Community ). Some processes, though, are multi-step, and could be grouped + named for even better clarity. This would also help with workflows that are non-linear, helping future users of the Pro project identify which 'module' they need to get up to speed with and rerun.

Coupled with a notes pane (see Notes Bar (Like in Power Point) in ArcMap - Esri Community and ArcGIS Pro Project Notes Window - Esri Community), these improvements would go a long way in preserving personal and institutional memory and getting cyclical processes done quickly when they come up.

And yes, I'm aware of the tasks pane. It's not what I'm looking for, and neither is ModelBuilder--though both have their uses. In this case, I need a screwdriver, not a drill.

MargaretCrawford

Hi, I think these ideas are great.  I have a suggestion that could help with organizing history for now.

@wayfaringrob, you might find geoprocessing packages helpful. This is a way you can capture groups of related tools from your History, and the data used by them.  You can also attach related documentation to packages, so you can share more information about your workflow. 

Right-click a successfully run tool on the History pane > Share As > Geoprocessing Package.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/geoprocessing/share-analysis/what-is-a-geopro...

wayfaringrob

@MargaretCrawford  I'll check it out, thanks!