Select to view content in your preferred language

APR & Utility Network & Pipeline Line for Centerline

05-24-2024 08:34 AM
PatrickLunn
New Contributor

Based on recommendations from ESRI, when deploying a Utility Network it's recommended to use the pipeline line as the centerline. Conceptually, I agree with this approach as editing the centerline to match the geometry of your recently created pipeline edits is a bit redundant. However, I have not been able to successfully deploy LRS in an enterprise geodatabase using the pipeline line as the centerline.

I was able to create the LRS and create the LRS network in the EGDB successfully, but the process fell apart when I tried to append the routes.

I followed the steps outlined by ESRI

• Applied an Asset Package
  • Create LRS from Existing Dataset using UPDM feature classes and P_PipelineLine as the centerline
  • Configure Utility Network Feature Class
  • Create LRS Network From Existing Dataset
  • Append Routes

The Append Routes failed to load anything and was stuck at 0%.

My understanding of Append Routes is that it does 3 things.

• Appends routes into Continuous Network or Engineering Network depending on deployment
  • Updates the centerline 
  • Updates the centerline sequence table to associate routes to the centerline

I believe mine is failing because in our ETL process, pipeline line already has data for transmission. I don't want to append data into pipeline line using append routes. I am wondering if ESRI has come across this issue before? 

Can I append both the Network and the Centerline Sequence table instead of using the append routes tool?

We are using ArcGIS Pro 3.1 and Enterprise 11.1

Your help is much appreciated 🙂

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Patrick,

It sounds like you're following the steps outlined in the configure, load data, and publish section of the product documentation for a combined APR-UN deployment correctly (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/production/location-referencing-pipelines/manage-pipel...).  If you look at step 7 and the note below it, the Append Routes tool will not append a centerline for any route being loaded when a Utility Network is configured with the LRS.  Instead the tool will associate the newly loaded route(s) with existing centerlines already present in the pipeline line feature class.

Based on the tool never making it past 0%, it seems like there could be issues with validating the data or making it past the initial data integrity checks that are part of the tool.

I'd recommend opening up a support case with Esri technical support to investigate further.

Nathan
ArcGIS Pipeline Referencing team

0 Kudos